+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Running Romex

Hybrid View

Default Running Romex

In preparation to remodel my bathroom I've taken down the drop ceiling in the kitchen. Romex for lighting is currently run through holes in the ceiling joists.

I found that the joists are only 2 x 6s, so I need to sister 2 x 8s to support the new floor above. (Total span is less than 10', so 2 x 8s are adequate.)

Since the cable will be well out of the way, with no chance of getting snagged or stepped on, can I secure it to the bottom of the joists or do I have to drill new holes and run it through those?

Default Re: Running Romex

If you have a dropped ceiling, the romax can be attached to the bottom of the joists.

I could kiss you for that!!

Just saved me a ton of extra labor...I can re-route the cable before I start the deconstruction.

Ditto to what DJ said. Also be sure the romex is run so the ceiling panels can still be lifted and don't lay the romex on the ceiling grid or attached to the tie wires.
    Good Luck from Columbiana, Alabama
    Maurice Turgeon, Hidden Content

Thanks. There isn't going to be a lot of wiggle room for the panels, but there shouldn't be a reason to go into the ceiling too often in the next 50 years. The bathroom is the last major overhaul we're facing.

I merely agree with you,How true it is!!!!!