+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Question Moving a Wooden Gazebo

We have to move and realign a wooden gazebo preferably without dismantling it. We cannot get a fork lift or truck into the yard and we have nothing that we could attach a come-a-long to.
    Any ideas would be appreciated.
    Thanks

Default Re: Moving a Wooden Gazebo

Is this a home built structure or one of the more flimsy ones you'd purchase from a spa dealer?
    I suffer from CDO ... Its like OCD, but in alphabetical order, LIKE IT SHOULD BE!!!

If they can more complete homes, they can certainly move a gazebo or a shed.

I would think that some dismentling will be necessary.

Personally, I haven't done a thing like this, but I'm sure somebody else here has.

Quote Originally Posted by dj1 View Post
    If they can more complete homes, they can certainly move a gazebo or a shed.
    It will completely depend on how the structure was built.

Kits (like those sold with spas/hot tubs ) will likely be better to dismantle and move. They are too flimsy to withstand moving. Home built, depending on quality and type of construction, may be able to move in one piece.

Another question, are the legs held on footings, screwed to a deck, or set in concrete?
    I suffer from CDO ... Its like OCD, but in alphabetical order, LIKE IT SHOULD BE!!!

If you are planning on moving this by hand, you are going to need a lot of friends and it will have to be a small gazebo. Do you have, or know someone who has a riding lawnmower, that would help.

If the gazebo is attached to the ground via some type of piers, you will have to dismantle it. If it was a prebuilt unit that is sitting on skids, usually 6x6 skids, then you can move it, at least in the direction of the skids. To move it perpendicular to the skids will require adding skids.

To move this type, slip a scissor jack or automotive floor jack under the foundation between the skids and jack it up. Get some round poles, round fence posts are ideal, and slip them under the skids. Now use lots of friends and riding lawnmower to pull it to the new location.

Thanks for al the ideas.
    The gazebo is a sturdy structure and has withstood 100mph winds to date.
    It is fixed to the ground by 4, 6 x 6 posts set in concrete. I understand that I'll have to cut these to move it. The only way I can think of doing this is by building a support that will fit under the entire gazebo and jacking this up.
    Any idea on weights? The wood is cedar and I saw a rough guide of 100 pounds per foot. This is a 6 foot gazebo therforee 600 pounds.
    Thanks again

You will have to cut the anchored legs and crib the gazebo up off the ground. Insert some cross beams under the gazebo that can hold the weight and secure them to the gazebo. Under these beams install industrial pneumatic castered wheels, a set of 4 should easily support 1200 pounds. Roll the gazebo to new location and reanchor to the ground.

This sizing chart will help you determine the caster you need.
    http://www.castercity.com/casterswnw...%20-%20Casters

One of the popular gazebo designs featured a central pier to which the joists would radiate. Getting that hub unattached from the pier is going to destabilize the whole floor. If you have that type of base, I'd separate the superstructure from it, bracing it off with gussets and timber x's to keep everything in proper orientation. After the top is moved you can tackle the floor, or build a new one.
    Casey
    Remove not the ancient landmark, which your fathers have set.

Lets have a little more information here. What is the general shape of the gazebo? Round, Square, Hexagon, Octagon? What are the dimensions, 6 by ? Is there any room underneath it to crawl or slid wood members? How close to the outside edges are the 6x6 posts?

What does the foundation look like? Are the joists radiating from the center or are they more conventional, i.e. parallel joists about 16 to 24" apart with an end cap? If they are parallel joists, which direction do you want to go, in the direction of the joists or perpendicular, or a combination of both?

As for weight, I think its going to be heavier than 600 lbs. I don't like the caster idea because I'm afraid they will sink into the lawn unless you make wooden tracks for them to ride on. Round poles will be a lot cheaper, but a little more work. How far are you going with it?

Quote Originally Posted by keith3267 View Post
    Lets have a little more information here.
    Damnit keith! We've done a whole lot more with a whole lot less!