+ Reply to Thread

Default Parallel controlers - how to connect

I have two controllers in parallel to a bathroom fan: Honeywell HVC001 and DewStop FS-100. The DewStop functions properly but the Honeywell apparently resets its clock/timer whenever the DewStop powers the fan (otherwise the Honeywell operates as specified; the Honeywell control display will blank out while the DewStop is running the fan.) How should I connect these in parallel (or what do I add?) Honeywell's tech support says that they've no ideas or suggestions. While I could rewire these controllers so that only one controls the fan, both are required for this application (one be city code; the other by user specification.)

Default Re: Parallel controlers - how to connect

You could have the controllers control two separate relays which control the fan. That way they would be isolated from each other.

Jack
    Be sure you live your life, because you are a long time dead.-Scottish Proverb

Default Re: Parallel controlers - how to connect

The problem is that the Honeywell controller doesn't have a neutral; rather, it is powered by being wired in series with the load. When the DewStop (which does have a neutral) turns on, it short-circuits the Honeywell controller, rendering it unpowered. (It would be the same as if you jumpered a wire across the leads of the Honeywell.)

You can't wire these controllers in series, either. There's just no way to make the Honeywell work with any other switch or controller.

I recommend finding a programmable timer that has a neutral; it should be compatible when wired in parallel with the DewStop. It probably won't have all the features the Honeywell has, though.
    The "Senior Member" designation under my name doesn't mean I know a lot, it just means I talk a lot.I've been a DIYer since I was 12 (thanks, Dad!). I have read several books on various home improvement topics. I do not have any current code books I can refer to. I was an apprentice plumber for two years.