+ Reply to Thread

Default Bean bag game boards

I need to start building 5 sets of bean bag game boards for my daughters fund raiser. I've built a couple for myself and family and stayed with the smaller 2' X 3' size but her group insists on 2' X 4'. It's suggested to use 3/4 plywood in a lot of plans but that makes them heavy. Their plan is to make them collaspible for storage and re-use. The couple I made I just found a 6" diameter something traced it and cut if with a jig saw. It's OK but a little wavy. I was told a router will work well but I'm not sure how to set it up. I know I can buy a 6" hole saw but after these boards I'll have no use and I do own a router. Does anyone have any tips or suggestions on what a good material would be besides 3/4 plywood and cutting out the circles?

Default Re: Bean bag game boards

Be sure you live your life, because you are a long time dead.-Scottish Proverb

And it is best to do it in multiple cuts. Make the first turn with the bit barely touching the plywood, then lower the bit about a " at a time to minimize tear out.

Jack
    Be sure you live your life, because you are a long time dead.-Scottish Proverb

i made mine with 1/2" plywood still very sturdy...i also used a jig saw and a 6" round something

Since you're likely putting a frame around the plywood anyway, 1/2" will be more than sufficient.

As for cutting the hole, you can rough it out with a jigsaw then clean up the hole with a router or drum sander or as Jack suggests, make a jig for the router and cut the hole.
    I suffer from CDO ... Its like OCD, but in alphabetical order, LIKE IT SHOULD BE!!!

Quote Originally Posted by A. Spruce View Post
    Since you're likely putting a frame around the plywood anyway, 1/2" will be more than sufficient.

As for cutting the hole, you can rough it out with a jigsaw then clean up the hole with a router or drum sander or as Jack suggests, make a jig for the router and cut the hole.
    great advice as always

With boys of my own I have made many bean bag games though my wife made the bean bags and painted the boards. I found that a router fixed with a router guide and straight bit works well. Most router guides have a place for a pivot pin built in for cutting circles. You could also use a guide bushing and a round template. I also agree 1/2" plywood should be sturdy enough to last for years. Remember this should be fun and have the kids help it may take longer but its time well spent.

Quote Originally Posted by A. Spruce View Post

Haha, this game will be interesting with your advice