+ Reply to Thread

Default 2" PVC into floor drain

I'm putting in a new laundry room floor and I'd like to rod out the drains before I lay the floor. The 2" PVC pipe for my washing machine drain goes into the floor and is sealed with a rubber boot / collar. I'd like to remove the PVC and rod directly from the floor opening to eliminate the trap and the other bend. Can the PVS be easily removed and what's the best way to install a new boot along with the PVC? Also since I'll most likely be buying a new rubber boot / collar; what is the correct name for that piece?
    Attached Files Attached Files

Default Re: 2" PVC into floor drain

if you don't have a trap, sewer gas will come into the house.

Thanks for the reply. I'll be replacing the trap exactly as it was installed originally once I've rodded the pipe going under the basement. My problem is removing the PVC from the pipe going under the floor. Can I just wiggle it out and then replace the rubber seal to re-install it?

Quote Originally Posted by shavehook View Post
    Thanks for the reply. I'll be replacing the trap exactly as it was installed originally once I've rodded the pipe going under the basement. My problem is removing the PVC from the pipe going under the floor. Can I just wiggle it out and then replace the rubber seal to re-install it?
    What type pipe is the PVC going into? Is your existing trap above the floor? If it is then why not put a clean out between the trap and the floor?

John

Thanks for the reply. The pipe is 4" cast iron that sticks out of the floor about 2". The PVC pipe goes into it a rubber seal and that seal is tight into the cast iron pipe. The trap sits directly above the floor, I would say the very bottom of the trap is 3" above the floor. There are 2 90's on the out portion of the trap then about 2" of straight PVC is visible before it goes into the pipe. Hope that makes it somewhat clearer. Thanks again.

John, Sorry missed your last question about the clean out. I would like to remove the PVC from the cast iron pipe to rod out the drain pipe under the floor before I lay new tile. I did cut off the washing maching pipe about 18" above the floor to make it a little easier to rod but getting my auger through the trap and the two 90 is hard. I figured if I can remove the PVC from the cast iron - rod out the pipe - then replace the PVC it would be easier then rodding without removing the trap and 90's.

Quote Originally Posted by shavehook View Post
    John, Sorry missed your last question about the clean out. I would like to remove the PVC from the cast iron pipe to rod out the drain pipe under the floor before I lay new tile. I did cut off the washing maching pipe about 18" above the floor to make it a little easier to rod but getting my auger through the trap and the two 90 is hard. I figured if I can remove the PVC from the cast iron - rod out the pipe - then replace the PVC it would be easier then rodding without removing the trap and 90's.
    What I'm suggesting is to raise the trap put a clean out in the line above the floor and below the trap. This would make it easier to snake the line not just this time but also in the future if necessary.

John

Thanks I will raise the trap and add a cleanout but I'm concerned about pulling the PVC out of the cast iron. Is it just a matter of using armstrong power with some wiggle on the PVC and out pops the PVC and rubber seal or what? Just keep wiggling and twisting until it comes out and buy repalcements? Thanks again

If I understand it correctly, all you want is to go fron 2" PVC to 4" cast iron. To do that get a tubular adaptor 2"x4", available at plumbing supply stores.