I recently moved into an apartment built in the 1950s. The interior walls are stucco. About eighteen inches from the ceiling in the living room and bedroom, there is a deep groove in the plaster running all the way around. It looks fairly deep, an inch at least. I am wondering if this is a system for hanging pictures, and if so, how it works. Has anyone ever seen this?