+ Reply to Thread

Hybrid View

Default Checking contractor references

We are looking to hire a contractor to do some work in our home. We asked the contractor for references since we essentially found him in the yellow pages. He seemed very professional and very on top of things when discussing the project. So both my wife and I were feeling very good about him.

When checking the references one of the numbers was not working. So we checked it on google. Someone with the same last name in the same town was in the construction business. When we googled the other references the same thing. They seemed like they might be related to some other contractor? Should this raise a red flag? Do contractors use one another for references normally? Any thoughts would be helpful.
    Last edited by Hansmire; 06-24-2012 at 03:12 PM.

Default Re: Checking contractor references

While it's entirely possible that your contractor has done work for the other contractors, as a sub-contractor, I'd ask him for more references, this time from private parties.

And when you get them, politely call each one of them and don't hesitate to ask questions.

It does sound fishy to me. Get more numbers, and GO to their homes if at all possible. A pretty surface can hide a multitude of mistakes. You want a contractor who does a thorough job. Ask the references about warranty work and any guarantees.

Indeed, red flag has risen. The best way to get a reference check is to make use of review sites. But beware of these too because there are a lot of non credible sites out there that are only used for ranting. Trust a credible review site like Angie's list. There you will find real reviews from people who have had work done by a particular contractor. If they aren't on Angie's list, that's another big red flag. good luck!

Quote Originally Posted by SammyJo View Post
    If they aren't on Angie's list, that's another big red flag. good luck!
    Seriously? Please!
    I suffer from CDO ... Its like OCD, but in alphabetical order, LIKE IT SHOULD BE!!!

agrred sprucey

your best way of seeing their work is to simply ask addresses of jobs the've done and drive by the house. see how their work looks 2-5 years later.. shoddy workmanship shows up pretty quick..

we simply tell our perspective clients to drive through a specific neighborhood where we've done a ton of remodels, 25 homes in a small neighborhood to be exact in a 8 year time frame, including another 9 ive done outside of the company either with another contractor or small jobs on my own.. that sells us right there. the next closest number of jobs a contractor has done compared to us is around 4 projects. not to brag but they want our quality and they want the look we present to a house
    fire up the saw and make some dust