+ Reply to Thread

Question Wiring ceiling fans after an outlet

We have new wiring in the room we want to add two ceiling fans in. The wire is 12/2, the breaker is a 15amp, and there are 4 outlets inline in this circuit. Typically, the most that is drawing on it is a TV and a table lamp, although in season, here may be two strands of lights also drawing on it.

We would like to install two "The Northshore" by Hunter ceiling fans (I don't have enough posts to post a link to all the specs, sorry) with no switches, just using the pull cords. The fans would be installed after the last outlet, so the second fan would be the end of the run.

Is there any problem with doing this in the above described situation? There were existing lights, but the install was...shall we say...fear inducing, and they were removed about 1 day after we closed on the Cottage. Truthfully, the entire wiring situation was a little hair raising (the entire living room, bedroom and part of the kitchen-including the fridge-were all on one breaker).

Default Re: Wiring ceiling fans after an outlet

Can you hot wire fans and use their pull chains rather than wall switches? Yes, you can, but I would highly recommend wall switches, and separate switches for lights/fan operation. You don't have to wire the fans individually to switches, both can be operated from one switch/set of switches.

In theory, using the pull chains works just fine, in practice it is a pain in the behind to have to use the chains rather than a more conveniently located switch.
    I suffer from CDO ... Its like OCD, but in alphabetical order, LIKE IT SHOULD BE!!!

Default Re: Wiring ceiling fans after an outlet

It can be done from the information you provided, but I agree with Spruce on the switch issue.

Remember to attach the fans to the joists or to a bracket secured by the joists.