+ Reply to Thread

Default Noisy "balanced" ceiling fan

Hi Guys, I've been dealing w/ this problem for over a year. I have two identical ceiling fans hung down on roughly 3' posts from a cathedral ceiling. One is quiet no matter what speed. The other creaks, etc. up near the ?socket (ball/socket joint). I've measured, balanced and balanced until I can balance no more. They both exhibit about the sam amount of "wobble" observed from the ground (not much). Is there something I could/should do up in the joint? Could I possibly buy new materials (joint) for up in there? I was thinking of trying to lubricate (silicon, grease, etc) the joint because something is obviously rubbing somewhere. It doesn't do it all the time, but when it does it's annoying as hell. If it gets to the point where I have to replace the fan...I'll have to replace two (it's mate)

Default Re: Noisy "balanced" ceiling fan

Who installed the two fans? maybe there's something wrong in the installation of the noisy fan. There could be a part missing.

Try this: disassemble the noisy fan (but remember the sequence and don't lose parts). Then re-assemble it. If you have the product diagram, use it, to verify that all the parts are there.

I don't think the problem is with the fan, I think it is in the electrical box the fan is mounted to. The box is (should be) attached to a crossbar between two of the ceiling joists. Usually a U bolt is used to hold the box to the crossbar. I'm guessing that a lock washer is missing and one of the nuts on the U-bolt is loose. Technically, this is an easy fix, but you will need two people and two ladders.

448 West 19th Street Suite 442 Houston TX 77008

Quote Originally Posted by dj1 View Post
    Who installed the two fans? maybe there's something wrong in the installation of the noisy fan. There could be a part missing.

Try this: disassemble the noisy fan (but remember the sequence and don't lose parts). Then re-assemble it. If you have the product diagram, use it, to verify that all the parts are there.
    This could be. Or maybe There was something faulty in the installation. Either way, it's an easy fix to a point that you will not need to replace the ceiling fans.

Call me lucky but I've only seen one fan that had to be balanced.

I removed the fan & blades and the HO returned it to the fan dealer where she bought it (Dan's Fan City). They didn't rebalance with weights but re-positioned the blades and numbered where they should go back.

They didn't charge her a dime and did while she waited.

Everything worked great!

So, I agree with the others it's probably just a loose mounting at the box.
    Good Luck from Columbiana, Alabama
    Maurice Turgeon, Hidden Content

Thanks everyone! I was out of computer communication for a couple of days (nice to be w/o technology for awhile). I think I will try to dissassemble then reassemble the whole mounting assembly. I don't recall the fan being noisy after it was first installed SO I'm assuming maybe something became loose, etc. I've probably installed 10-15 ceiling fans over the years (though I didn't install these two) so I do have an idea of how they should be assembled. Thanks again. I was hoping to avoid disassembly for the fan is pretty high up in a cathedral ceiling but I know it's my last resort.

Sometimes a blade is bent. All the balancing in the world will not stop the wobble with a bent blade. Well its not the blade itself that's bent, but the arm holding the blade. Looking at the edges of the blades as they slowly rotate by may help you find the bent blade (if there is one) or use a digital level for the truly OCD.

There was a slightly bent blade (mount). I rectified this. I measured the tip and sides of each blade from a fixed point to be sure they are all the same. I DID think of this : ) It still squeaks.

I replaced one today because of wobble at high speed.

I noticed the previous electrician had tried extra shimming of the downrod but had only shimmed on one side of the downrod, which threw it off center.

Other than that it was mounted very solidly to the ceiling.

The owner had had it with the fan and bought a nice Hunter. It went up fine and was steady as a rock, without balancing.
    Good Luck from Columbiana, Alabama
    Maurice Turgeon, Hidden Content

I encountered same problem with you what i did is I put grease on the joint and then my problem is solve. No more noisy fun at my room.