+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Wrong cement on PVC ABS joint

Nope, don't ask how this happened, but I applied PVC primer and then PVC cement to a PVC toilet flange going into a black ABS pipe in my new upstairs bathroom remodel job. Yes I had a can of multiuse cement in the shop! Since it is directly above a new Sheetrock ceiling I am concerned about leaks. Does anyone have experience with a situation like this? Any way to get the joint apart or cut the PVC pipe out and try again?

Thanks,

Default Re: Wrong cement on PVC ABS joint

Well, s--t happens. Cut the ABS below the mess and re-do it, using all new parts. Check the label on your multiuse cement, it must say: for ABS, PVC and CPVC. I hope you still have an easy access from below.

Just a note: make sure the flange is high enough to be flush with whatever finished floor you will install in the bathroom. Good luck.

A "ram bit" can be used to drill the plastic pipe out of a fitting.
    The "Senior Member" designation under my name doesn't mean I know a lot, it just means I talk a lot.I've been a DIYer since I was 12 (thanks, Dad!). I have read several books on various home improvement topics. I do not have any current code books I can refer to. I was an apprentice plumber for two years.

I did the same thing several years ago. Since my house is on a high crawl space I went underneath and cut the mess out and redid it. My wife helped from above and no problem.

Quote Originally Posted by Fencepost View Post
    A "ram bit" can be used to drill the plastic pipe out of a fitting.
    Ram bits are excellent, when there is no other alternative, as last resort. For the not so skilled, it might be a little too pricey, and also something that he will never use again.

Ram Bits aren't that expensive. He could spend more on fittings then the cost of the bit.

http://www.buycheapr.com/us/result.j...=pasco+ram+bit

john
    Last edited by johnjh2o; 06-23-2012 at 10:50 AM.

Replacement parts:

1 - 3" coupling
    1 - 3" toilet flange

Total: less than $10 plus tax (retail)

A new 3" ram:

From $43 to over $52, plus shipping and plus tax to many states.

Damage caused by an unskilled homeowner, plus the cost of calling a plumber after that: priceless (the sky is the limit).

Just comparing.

Your overlooking the fact that to cut the line and replace the pipe and fittings he would have to open the ceiling on the first. And being that the piping is between the floor joists, chances are he doesn't have enough room to get a coupling between the ell and the flange.

John

So long as a coupler can be installed, redoing the connection is easy- even for the average "Joe Homeowner". Instead of a specialty tool, use a dremel-type tool to cut the pipe from the inside. Cheap ones lack power but will work with some patience. Even with the new plumbing parts added on this is still under $50. One thing I would try first is to see if I could twist the connection apart without breaking anything downstream. If the glue connection is truly bad it might just pop apart, making the repair easy. If you're careful and bold you might be able to make a couple cuts parallel to the pipe on a fitting then split the fitting off. Just be absolutely sure to not nick the pipe underneath enough to cause a future leak.

Phil

The line is between floors and there is not enough room for a coupling between the fitting under the floor and the flange.

John