+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Hybrid View

Default Garage door opener

Hi Everyone, I have been baffled by a garage door opener that I came across. It's a 1994 Fimble Paunet Co. Power Lift, and it's chain driven. The bearing around the sprocket is just about gone, so the sprocket can't grab. I'm sure I'll have to replace it, but just so everyone knows it has this brown cover and says "Power Lift" in yellow. I'm more interested in where I can get parts and where came from. Any thoughts?

Thanks

Default Re: Garage door opener

I've never heard of the brand, and if you can't easily find a reference via Google, then your best bet is to measure the outer and inner diameters of the bearing and then purchase a suitable replacement from the many on-line bearing dealers.
    I suffer from CDO ... Its like OCD, but in alphabetical order, LIKE IT SHOULD BE!!!

They are not manufacturers just installers. The GDO was made by Liftmaster, a well known company. Go to the Fimble web site or; (copied from their web site)

Want more information?
    Call us at (603) 424-9786

Check again, I think the name on the opener is "LIFTMASTER" which is made by Chamberlain. Call their part department for easy to get parts. You'll need the model number (should be on a sticker on the unit or inside the unit) when you call.

Also check Fimbel - Paunet Corp.

448 West 19th Street Suite 442 Houston TX 77008

You can buy parts from a hardware store or something. just take note of the measurements of the parts because it is crucial for efficiency of work.

Thanks for the replies. I have done loads of research with Fimbel-Paunet. And this is not Liftmaster at all. I am aware of how common Liftmaster/Chamberlain units are, and the assembly does not look anything close to a liftmaster unit from the 1990's. Liftmaster also never had a brown and yellow color scheme. I can post some photos if anyone would like.

If your mind is set on rebuilding this old opener, then just remove the worn part that you think is bad and start your search for a replacement.

Let's say you are lucky enough to find one that fits 100%, and the unit still doesn't work. What will you do next? continue to invest time and money on an 18 year old unit?

For me as a problem solver landlord, replacing the unit is the only course of action. An opener, like many other machines, can't last forever. They also stop working when there is no time to play with them, so I quickly replace them, and the tenants call me a "great landlord". I buy them wholesale, most times for less than a minor repair - brand new out the box, with warranty. Viola, done.

Gotta agree with dj1. Time to replace an almost 20 year old garage door opener. It's not worth the effort

That's all true. I cracked it open, and in reply to it being built by liftmaster or chamberlain, I can see that the workings are anything but a liftmaster-chamberlain design. There is a massive AC motor, a rubber V-belt, and a turn wheel going up to the sprocket. I think it's in the Allister-Allstar family.