+ Reply to Thread

Thread: upstairs shower

Default upstairs shower

My up stairs shower does not receive constant hot water. The water will start out cold , go hot, then go cold and back and forth..... What would cause this to happen? This is the only place in the house this happens .... please help
    thank you very much

Default Re: upstairs shower

You may have a faulty shower valve.

If it's a single-handle shower, simply replace the cartridge. If after installing the new cartridge hot and cold are reversed, carefully remove the cartridge, rotate it 180 degrees, and reinstall it.

If it's a 2- or 3-handle shower*, check that the washers on the inside of the stem are not loose. If they are worn, replace them. If the handles are chrome, you may need a special puller to get them off since they are probably corroded on. Then you'll need a crescent wrench to remove the stem.

(*Some 2- and 3-handle showers use cartridges instead of compression washers on stems.)

Be sure to shut off the water first.

Never use a pipe wrench or channel-lock type pliers where a crescent wrench will do. Toothed jaws will absolutely ruin a smooth finish, every time.
    The "Senior Member" designation under my name doesn't mean I know a lot, it just means I talk a lot.I've been a DIYer since I was 12 (thanks, Dad!). I have read several books on various home improvement topics. I do not have any current code books I can refer to. I was an apprentice plumber for two years.

If you are on a well instead of city water, the varying pressure from the well will cause this, it affects upstairs baths more than downstairs.

448 West 19th Street Suite 442 Houston TX 77008

Quote Originally Posted by keith3267 View Post
    If you are on a well instead of city water, the varying pressure from the well will cause this, it affects upstairs baths more than downstairs.
    I'll vouch for this. a family relative of mine also experienced this.

no well and recently changed the valve more help please

Quote Originally Posted by dustbunnyacres View Post
    no well and recently changed the valve more help please
    What make faucet do you have? When you installed it you may have gotten something in the faucet if you didn't flush it before putting it in service.

John

Hello John;
    this was happening before the valve was changed thinking it was the valve, so it is still happening after valve change

Quote Originally Posted by dustbunnyacres View Post
    Hello John;
    this was happening before the valve was changed thinking it was the valve, so it is still happening after valve change
    In that case there may be a problem with the water heater. What type heater do you have? If it's a tank type there is a dip tube on the cold side that could have failed. That is just a guess not knowing the source of your hot water.

John

You are saying that the upstairs shower is the only place where this is happening, and that you replaced the valve and it still does it.

I still think it's the valve. Did you get the exact replacement valve? did you install it correctly? did you fiddle with the hot limit (if you have it)?

Yes, what brand is your faucet?

it is a symmons brand faucet and it was installed by a licensed plumber more help please