+ Reply to Thread

Default Mold on dining room wall

My husband and I recently bought our home from a 'flipper' and since moving in have realized that the plumbing in our bathrooms was not done correctly when 'updated.' When we run the shower in either bathroom, a pool of water collects on the floor of the room that 'backs up' to the bathroom. We have used our master bath shower the most, and - consequently - we now have wetness under the carpet in our dining room and mold on/in our dining room wall. Neither of us is in any way 'handy' and we have ZERO experience with plumbing. To make matters worse, we don't have the thousands of dollars that I'm afraid would be required to hire a professional. Does anyone have any idea what the problem might be? Do you feel like this is something we could fix ourselves?

Default Re: Mold on dining room wall

Hate to tell you, but you bought "a cat in a bag".

From your posting, it's most likely that the flipper did some quick unprofessional plumbing job. Without seeing the place, it's hard to tell whether it's water supply, faucet, drain, tile work or any other cause.

How recently did you buy the house? can you go after the seller? can you make an insurance claim? do you have one of those worthless home protection plan?

If not, you are on your own, and the sooner you get to the bottom of it, the less expensive your total will be.

That's what we figured This guy, the flipper, is extremely wealthy and well-known here in Dallas... so, I'm thinking it may be difficult to get much from him.

I know it will sound ridiculous, but we've actually been in our house over a year, now. We had a buffet table up against the wall in the dining room for the longest time & just recently moved it... hence the discovery of the moldy wall and wet carpet.

As far as homeowners' insurance goes, our company tells us that this does not qualify as a 'catastrophic event.' And, yes, we do have a useless home warranty - why? I don't know. They said that they will pay for the actual parts needed for the repair, but not the cost of accessing or repairing the damage. Awesome.

Well, thanks for your response. We do have a friend who has done some plumbing & he agreed to come and take a look.

If you have homeowner's insurance, check your policy and with your insurance agent. Some homeowner's insurance policies cover raptured water lines.

448 West 19th Street Suite 442 Houston TX 77008

Check your home insurance first. Your problem might be covered by your insurance. If not, you really need to hire a professional. You can save a lot of money if you hire one than doing it by yourselves.