+ Reply to Thread

Hybrid View

Default What do you call these?

Can anyone tell me the technical term for the decorative, exposed joists/rafters protruding out from underneath the soffits and eaves of old Arts & Crafts homes? (rafter tails?)

Default Re: What do you call these?

there might be a technical name but i've always refered to them as "decorative rafter tails"

If you can post a link to a picture, that would help. But if you're referring to the brackets you see on the gable end, I think they're called corbels.
    The "Senior Member" designation under my name doesn't mean I know a lot, it just means I talk a lot.I've been a DIYer since I was 12 (thanks, Dad!). I have read several books on various home improvement topics. I do not have any current code books I can refer to. I was an apprentice plumber for two years.

I tried to post pictures but since I am a new member, it won't let me.
    I know what corbels are and that is not what I am referring to. Thanks though

In classical/ancient architecture, the decorated joist ends are called modillions. I don't know what the crafty types called theirs 100 years ago. my data extends back to 500 BC, but stops at 1900.
    Casey
    Remove not the ancient landmark, which your fathers have set.