+ Reply to Thread

Default Ceramic Tile Problem

I have a problem with a ceramic tile floor. The floor is installed over a concrete slab. The floor is about 20 years old and in good condition except some tiles have just started to loosen. When I removed these tiles I found an old adhesive from the previous floor (vinyl) and suspect that this is what caused the tiles to loosen. I tried to sc**** the adhesive so that I can replace the tiles (I have new replacements) but it doesn't come off. Any suggestions about how to remove this adhesive?

Default Re: Ceramic Tile Problem

A chisel & hammer should do it.
    After working on the adhesive, be sure to get up all the dust & crud before reattaching the tile.

Thanks for the response but the adhesive is very thin and a hammer & chisel won't get under it. I tried a razor blade but that won't remove all of it either. I'm concerned that the adhesive won't let the new tiles adhere properly.

That adhesive is called cutback adhesive. It's mainly used for vinyl tile. Whoever installed the ceramic directly onto that stuff took the lazy route and didn't do you any favors. You can buy cutback adhesive remover at your local home center. remove the adhesive and then try to re-attach the tile. Honestly though this is going to keep happening, and I would recommend taking the floor up completely, and putting the ceramic down properly.

The ceramic tile is laid directly onto the concrete slab, but there is a residue of the old adhesive that was used for the original vinyl floor, which was removed. I need to get the rest of this old adhesive off of the concrete. Any suggestions as to what might remove it?