+ Reply to Thread

Default Narrow cabinet ideas

I've got a small kitchen (approx. 10' x 10') and we had to place our refrigerator in a corner. Because there is a window where the refrigerator door swings open, we have to move it away from the wall at it's side so the door handle won't hit the window sill and prevent the door from opening the whole way. This has led to an odd small gap between the side of fridge and the wall. I'm trying to think of a useful cabinet to put in there to make use of the space instead of a home for dust bunnies. The fridge can move away from the wall a bit more so I've got about 8"-10" to work with. I'm thinking of something tall since having a counter in that small of a space would be pointless. Any ideas on what might work there? I've been thinking of a vertical wine rack, or maybe slots for trays and other thin but long things. It's small enough that I think I can build something myself as well.
    Any ideas are welcome. Thanks.

Mike

Default Re: Narrow cabinet ideas

You should keep at least a 2" gap all the way around the fridge for air flow. By the time you have that gap, two sides of a cabinet, face frame, etc., the usable space left will be nonexistent. What about storing your mop and broom there instead?
    I suffer from CDO ... Its like OCD, but in alphabetical order, LIKE IT SHOULD BE!!!

I like the tray/platter/cookie sheet storage idea.

I would use a filler strip to match the cabinetry. It won't add to storage but it will look good and keep the fridge where it belongs. Alternately the wine rack idea doesn't sound bad and if you test it enough, it and everything else you see through the haze will look simply wonderful till the hangover is gone

Phil

The fridge will do a great job keeping that wine nice and warm.

Hehe. Good point. I may go the trim/filler strip route. Maybe a half wall on the other side of the fridge that matches up with the wainscoting and chair rail around the rest of the room may tie it all together a little more and make it look less like a giant white box in the corner.