+ Reply to Thread

Default 300 watt plug replacement

the plug to my large air conditioning unit had a short(I assume) as the two flat prongs are black and the plastic is scorched.The flat thick cord has 300 watt on it. Can I safely replace the plug?Will the AC unit be ok to use if it is now plugged into a surge protector and the right socket?

Default Re: 300 watt plug replacement

NO. The short answer is ABSOLUTELY NOT. Unless there was physical damage to the plug that you know led tot he short, then the problem is in the ac itself and it must be repaired or replaced. It could be as simple as a shorted start capacitor which led to a high inrush current. It could also be due to a bad compressor or motor.

Since the terminals of the plug have only a knife edge contact with the receptacle, this would get hot and burn first. You need to have the AC checked out first, if it is a small portable window unit and it is more that a few years old, it might be cheaper to just replace it with a more efficient new unit.

Default Re: 300 watt plug replacement

Quote Originally Posted by ddouce4 View Post
    the plug to my large air conditioning unit had a short(I assume) as the two flat prongs are black and the plastic is scorched.The flat thick cord has 300 watt on it. Can I safely replace the plug?Will the AC unit be ok to use if it is now plugged into a surge protector and the right socket?
    I wonder how a "large air conditioning unit" can be fed by a
    300W cord. I would expect 1800W at least. You didn't say if the unit is 120V or 240V but the "two flat blades" sound like a
    240V plug.

If it's 240V a typical surge protector could not be used.

If the receptacle is old and loose, it and the plug could be replaced and should work fine. If after the repair the fuse or breaker blows/trips you probably need to get a new unit, as was already suggested.
    Good Luck from Columbiana, Alabama
    Maurice Turgeon, Hidden Content