+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default How do I paint my laminate flooring?

We bought our house in November and we were going to redo the flooring in most of the whole house. But wanted to do it inside our budget! Mind you we have a 3600sq ft house! I was sitting and reading some magazines when this idea popped into my head, "Why not just paint the floor in the kitchen/dining room?" I then got on the internet and started doing some research.

Of course my question is how do I paint my laminate floor? At a friends house they had some plywood painted and it looked kinda neat I thought. I am no pro but that's what the flooring looks like under the laminate flooring we have. Does anyone have any suggestions on what they would do? Has anyone had experience doing this?

I thought I might add that some of the laminate is loose if not most of it in the kitchen/dining area. There is no bubbles or wrinkles or anything along those lines. Except when my Kirby goes across the floor it pulls it up in many spots. The master bathroom floor had water damage but is fine now except the fact that the laminate flooring is curling and peeling up. Thought to just pull it up and paint floor that looks like plywood.

Default Re: How do I paint my laminate flooring?

sadbrd,

Are you talking about pulling up the laminate and then painting the underlayment, or are you talking about painting the laminate itself?

Pulling up the laminate to affect a temporary measure would be an LOT of work. Also remember that those are sheets of plywood with seams and nails or screws everywhere. Further, your baseboards and trim would all be at a different elevation, i.e. your door casings would be 1/2 inch short of the floor.

If it were me, I would wait until I could pop for new floors.

All I have to say it that ideas born out of lack and limitation inevitably fail.

Laminate flooring (aka, Pergo, et.al. from a big box store ) is one of the most expensive "cheap" floorings available. Trying to paint that is a recipe for disaster. Pick up a dog turd from your front yard and throw a few coats of paint on it, that is what you'll end up with.

Laminate flooring in and of itself is garbage, trying to make that garbage a silk purse with a little paint isn't going to happen. I would rather see you spend your time, and more importantly your money, on something that will be fitting of your home and something that will last longer than it takes to wash out your paint brush.

I fully understand limited budgets. With some creativity you can stretch your limited budget and achieve some really great results, painting laminate isn't one of them.
    I suffer from CDO ... Its like OCD, but in alphabetical order, LIKE IT SHOULD BE!!!

The whole idea of laminate flooring is that the top layer doesn't need any finishing. Besides, I don't think that paint can stick to it.

I'm undecided about laminate flooring. It's better than carpeting in many ways, yet it's not as good as hardwood.
    Overall, it's pretty good for rental homes.

Sounds like you are trying to paint the plywood. Everything Ordgen said is true. If you still want to go ahead with this I would use a good floor or porch and patio paint. Most are self priming and require 2 coats. Water down the first coat by adding 1 quart of water, if water based which I recomend, to 1 gallon of paint. Second coat use full strength. The floor must be spotless, free of all dirt and joint compound from dry walling. Do not use this on laminate, it will not stick. I would wait till the funds are there for a new floor. Good luck

Hey Spruce,

Don't hold back! Tell us what you really think about laminate!

I agree with Tacoma, I doubt you could get a good enough bond to laminate to hold up to foot traffic and chair legs being dragged across it.

Quote Originally Posted by ordjen View Post
    Hey Spruce,

Don't hold back! Tell us what you really think about laminate!
    Are you sure you can handle it?

I was actually having this conversation with my neighbor this afternoon. I don't mean to squelch creativity or to stop people from having what they want, my only purpose is to prevent the improper use of materials in situations that they are not designed for, hence will not hold up, and this is one of them.

What 99% of the population seems to fail to grasp is that half-arsed, bandaid approach is far more expensive in the long run than to just do the job right from the beginning.

IMHO, the OP would be better served to cover their laminate with vinyl than to attempt to paint it. Is this a "proper" installation, no, but a far better alternative to paint. When all is said and done, I seriously doubt that vinyl will be that much more expensive than paint, considering that the paint will fail almost immediately and make the installation of any overlay product such as vinyl impossible.

Best case scenario is that the OP saves up their money and removes the existing flooring and does a proper install of a new suitable flooring which will suit their needs for the long term.
    I suffer from CDO ... Its like OCD, but in alphabetical order, LIKE IT SHOULD BE!!!

Scuff sand very thoroughly (every inch) and then apply a two part epoxy paint. Wear the appropriate respirator. That kind of paint is over $100/gal.
    Casey
    Remove not the ancient landmark, which your fathers have set.

Quote Originally Posted by Sombreuil_mongrel View Post
    Scuff sand very thoroughly (every inch) and then apply a two part epoxy paint. Wear the appropriate respirator. That kind of paint is over $100/gal.
    Casey
    I thought of this Sombreuil_mongrel as well, but there are 3 problems with this idea. One, is the floor smooth or raised pattern on it? A pattern makes for some hard sanding to do it right. Two, she has loose boards and nailing them tight is not an option since this is a floating floor system. Three, the finish they put on these floors is made of the same material as sand paper. So trying to scuff it is very difficult and requires a boat load of sand paper

Diamond abrasive discs. I use these for stone polishing.
    http://www.defusco.com/5-ELECTRO-DIA...-400-GRIT-2057
    Remove not the ancient landmark, which your fathers have set.