+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Old porch

Default Old porch

Our house was built in the early 1900's. The owners were all in the "family" and we are the first owners not to be in the family. Noe we have noticed the porch white paint is badly cracking and looking worse for wear. We live in a small town so anything we do will raise eye brows but we know it has to be fixed. There is a lot of coats of white paint and I am wondering the best way to get it off? Also after we get it off well, paint or stain?

Default Re: Old porch

Can you just sand it down? And I would use a stain if you can get the paint off.
    Looking for high quality Hidden Content for my new home.

Not sure what you have, but the only way to get off multiple layers of failing paint is to use some combination of scraping, heat, which involves scraping too and/or chemical stippers that you guessed it, needs to be sc****d.
    After all that, sanding and maybe filling is the final step before repainting.
    It's unlikely something that has so much paint on it would take well to staining. You would have to get every last bit of paint off and then some.

Heat gun and scrapper. I prefer solid stains on porches rather than paint.
    Jack
    Be sure you live your life, because you are a long time dead.-Scottish Proverb