+ Reply to Thread

Default Concrete bathroom floor repair

I have a 1917 house with concrete floors with tile set in the mortar bed. This rests on the joists which are narrow at the top to hold in the mortar. We had the pipes replaced with cpvc and in one bathroom they went though the floor to do this, leaving a trench in the floor.

I would like to fill this trench at least temporarily right now, what should I use to fill it? Quick set concrete? Thinset? The trench has gravel in it right now.

Someday I would like to tile over the whole floor, but I am not interested in ripping the whole floor up as right now it is our only functioning bathroom.

Default Re: Concrete bathroom floor repair

Generally speaking, it's not a good idea to bury plastic pipes with multiple connections in concrete.

For a temporary fix, you can pour some thin light concrete, something that will be easy to open if your cpvc system fails.

Pipes have not been buried in concrete for years because the expansion and contraction abrades through and causes a leak. If the house is on a raised foundation, why was the new pipe trenched through the floor rather than run underneath from the crawlspace?

As for a temp fix, Dj's suggestion will work for the time being. When it comes time to redo the floor, I'd seriously think about relocating the pipe more appropriately.
    I suffer from CDO ... Its like OCD, but in alphabetical order, LIKE IT SHOULD BE!!!

This is a second floor bathroom. The pipes run up the wall to the tub/shower, briefly through the floor past the tub to the toilet, and across the toilet to the sink on the other wall. The trench runs across the floor. here is a picture. sorry, copy and paste.

flickr.com/photos/20801908@N05/7404219482/

The blue thing is a bag of fill that will be removed. I am also thinking of wrapping the pipes with something.

I saw your photo and you can temporarily do what we suggested before.

When you re-do your wall tiles, you can re-route the pipe and install it in the wall, which is a better place than the floor.

Quote Originally Posted by dj1 View Post
    When you re-do your wall tiles, you can re-route the pipe and install it in the wall, which is a better place than the floor.
    Agreed.
    I suffer from CDO ... Its like OCD, but in alphabetical order, LIKE IT SHOULD BE!!!

You have one of those super-thick mud job floors. To call it a slab is not exactly accurate. It's resting on dropped sheathing held on cleats attached to the sides of the joist. The tipoff was when you said the tops of the joists were angled.
    These kind of mud jobs always crack and have to be replaced. Ideally someone would have told you this before you did any plumbing work, as to repair it and get the necessary support for the new mud job (or whatever) you will need a complete re-plumb.
    Casey
    Remove not the ancient landmark, which your fathers have set.