+ Reply to Thread

Default Dirt, sand, sediment in toilet tank

I have 3 toilets. In one of the toilets I have large pieces of dirt and a layer of sand flowing into the toilet tank over the past year. The dirt actually makes its way into the toilet bowl.
    Plumbers are puzzled about what could cause this. We have cleaned the tank but the dirt reappears.

The toilet was installed 15 years ago. The house is 75 years old. The toilet is a low flow Porcher toilet.

I would appreciate any ideas anyone has.

Joan Little

Default Re: Dirt, sand, sediment in toilet tank

What is your water source?

Water source is public. We are in the middle of Los Angeles City.

Do you have a whole house water filter?

I do not have a whole house walter filter. But please know that we have 3 toilets and 6 sinks and there is absolutely NO problem with sediment in the water EXCEPT this one toilet on the ground floor.

I see what you're having...

I think that your first floor toilet is the one fixture which gets all the sand coming in.

If I were in your shoes, I'd install a 'whole house water filter'. Doesn't have to be a fancy reverse osmosis unit with a giant price tag. Just a unit which you can find at the hardware stores. Filters are sold separately, so pick one that can stop whatever you're facing.

Install it indoors, right after the main water supply enters the house. If that's impossible, divert the line to the garage, install the unit inside and bring a pipe from the unit to were the main water pipe was entering the house.

If you can't do it, get a plumber to help you.