+ Reply to Thread

Unhappy Weeds coming up through deck

Hi there,

I just built a handicapped ramp from my back porch down the side yard of my house to the driveway. Unfortunately, neither the carpenter or I thought to put down any landscaping fabric or other weed preventer under it. Now I have grasses & weeds growing up through the deck. I've used brush kill constantly this spring & summer but some of the boards are too close together to get the smallest sprayer in between. Weed eating this ramp is getting to be a real chore.

My question is can I use some type of caulk to seal these cracks in the ramp and then stain or paint it? I live in south LA so it gets a lot of morning sun and then it's shady the rest of the day but always hot.

Thanks for any ideas....

Default Re: Weeds coming up through deck

Is your deck elevated at all on one side? Is there a way to spray weed killer under the deck?

it's set directly on the ground...I tried the weed killer in the cracks but mostly sprays all over the wood as wood decking is so close together and weeds still come through...thought I could raise it up and lay plastic but it's too heavy & 30' continuous length...don't know what I can do about this...thanks for your interest....

I'd remove planks (deck boards) to gain access to the under the deck area. Apply weed killer, wait a few days to re-apply more weed killer and then cover it with plastic or weed screen. Then place thos planks back in place.

If it's too hard for you to do, hire a handyman. Hopefully your deck builder used deck screws and not nails to attch the planks to the joists.

thanks for your input...that may be my option of last resort...thanks again...

Look for a liquid edging type product, some can last the whole growing season, or most of it where you are at. Round-up type products are only short-term.