+ Reply to Thread

Default Window Air Conditioner Making My Wife + I Sick?

Hello, everyone.

My wife and I recently bought an LG window AC unit from The Home Depot. We've had it in for a few weeks and have noticed we're getting sick (I've even got a pretty good virus going right now).

We think it might be from the air conditioner sucking in all types of pollen from outside and just blasting it on us, when we sleep at night.

Anyone with any opinions / solutions on this? The unit comes with a washable filter for the air in the room, but I'm wondering if some of the junk from the outside air is being pulled in.

Default Re: Window Air Conditioner Making My Wife + I Sick?

Your concern is valid, because the washable filter that came with the unit, is pretty much worthless.

Time to make your own filter. Google it and find a source for air filer materials, then cut it to size to fit your unit.

Most a/c units have a max setting where no outside air is drawn in.
    You might have allergies, by a cold virus doesn't come frome pollen. Allergies can mimic a cold, but you should know by now if you are sensitve to pollen. Be sure the drip pan is draining the condensate water. Mold could grow. It seems unlikely with a new unit.

The drain plug wasn't removed. I just removed it and it drained a fair amount of water.

As far as filters go, the only filter I see is on the inside of the unit, but isn't that just filtering air from the inside of the room? It's not filtering outside air, right?