+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Question Using Tiles Outside?

I was looking at a magazine which showed tiles being used outside. I have never seen tiles used outside before but it looked really nice. Would something like this crack in colder climates? We get a lot of snow here in the winter. Do you use regular thinset or mortar?

Default Re: Using Tiles Outside?

Tiles certainly can be used outside. We'd need a lot more information to help you. There is a forum just for tile (go figure) called the John Bridge Tile Forum. There you can start your own project thread. Give the pertinent details; location, what you want to tile over, the type of tiles you are interested in. The JBF has tile Pro's from Canada to New Zealand.

It would have to be exterior-rated tile. Quarry tile, for instance is used quite extensively for outdoor flooring/walkways, because it's hard-fired. Ordinary ceramic will not hold up.
    Casey
    Remove not the ancient landmark, which your fathers have set.

Lightbulb Re: Using Tiles Outside?

THANK YOU HoustonRemodeler and Casey! Always good to learn something new

I am going to be building a horseshoe driveway and I wanted it to have a 3 or 4 inch curb going all the way around. I was thinking of using matching tiles on the curb, walkway and the front house steps, similar to the picture below.

Are the tiles in front of your entry door rated for exterior use?

If yes, then you can get more of them for your project. If no, then get the right ones so you don't have to re-do it again soon.

Smile Re: Using Tiles Outside?

Quote Originally Posted by dj1 View Post
    Are the tiles in front of your entry door rated for exterior use?

I don't have tiles in the front entry doorway. I am trying to learn the best way to install them.

For example; I heard a lot of good things about epoxy grout, is there any reason why it can't be used outside in a cold climate?

Glazed tiles generally cannot be used outside in areas which have deep freezing. The glazing is in effect a moisture barrier which holds moisture in
    the tile. When the hard freeze occurs, the surface chips and cracks.

This is also a problem in summer cottages in cold areas where the cottage is not heated in winter. Glazed tile on basement or below grade concrete floors can crack or the surface spall off.

Porcelain tile can be used outside, albeit it is usually farely smooth and might be hazardous when wet.

Smile Re: Using Tiles Outside?

Quote Originally Posted by ordjen View Post
    Porcelain tile can be used outside, albeit it is usually farely smooth and might be hazardous when wet.
    What about something like this or this?

Quote Originally Posted by MyMilan View Post
    What about something like this or this?
    Installing the correct tiles for your outdoor use will beat any tile coating you can ever find.

Post Re: Using Tiles Outside?

The problem is I keep getting conflicting information about what the 'correct' tiles are. Some are saying porcelain, some are saying Quarry, some are saying neither....