+ Reply to Thread

Question Building Plantation Shutters

Who can give me some "how to" advice on building my own plantation shutters for interior window treatment? I know I can buy a template to drill the holes in the stiles and the louvers so that everything lines up correctly. I can also buy a router bit that is specific for the purpose of making the louvers. The part that seems most difficult is routing the louvers. How important is the router table versus the router to make this project easy and accurate? I will have to buy both pieces and don't want to spend a bundle on the tools, so I want to buy just high enough to get a good result. I'd rather fabricate my own louvers than buy the relatively expensive premade louvers. Any advice about this whole project that anyone could offer would be appreciated. Thanks!

Default Re: Building Plantation Shutters

I would never try to run louvers without a router table. But that is just me.

Jack
    Be sure you live your life, because you are a long time dead.-Scottish Proverb

Okay, I did not word my question correctly. Yes, of course I will use a router table. Let me try to more accurately express my concern. In other words, should I focus more on the precision capabilites of the router table or the characteristics of the router itself. I have not ever used a router table and I don't know if the $100 model will potentially do a good enough job. I also don't know much about how to pick out a router (is there any precision involved with this tool)?
    Last edited by backpackervic; 06-19-2012 at 12:44 AM.

Plantation shutters do not use simple flat slats with rounded ends; the entire louver is contoured, thick at the middle tapering to the ends. So the slats are produced on a molder, not a router table.
    Casey
    Remove not the ancient landmark, which your fathers have set.