+ Reply to Thread

Question New sheathing on top of siding?

Hi,

My house has a separate building in the back with plywood T1 siding on it. Most of the siding is in ok condition. Some of the siding is rotten where the deck, now removed, used to be attached. The bottom part (below where the deck used to be) doesn't have any siding, and what's left of the sheathing under it is in bad shape.

It looks like this:

i.imgur.com/UQnXI.png

I'm planning to shingle the building so it matches the main house.

What I'm thinking: put new sheathing up everywhere, then paper and shingles.

My question: do I need to remove all the existing siding first, or can I attach the new sheathing to it? Of course I'll remove the rotten siding, but some of it is in good shape, and because of the way the wall is build, having the extra thickness of siding would actually help.

Thanks!
    Last edited by rogthefrog; 06-17-2012 at 11:21 PM.

Default Re: New sheathing on top of siding?

Are you planning on shingling the sidewalls or just the roof?

BTW, I tried to view your photo and it said: this image is no longer available.

Quote Originally Posted by dj1 View Post
    Are you planning on shingling the sidewalls or just the roof?

BTW, I tried to view your photo and it said: this image is no longer available.
    Sorry I wasn't clear. I am not going to shingle the roof, just the walls.

Weird about the picture. Unfortunately I'm not allowed to post a picture inline yet

You should be able to shingle right over the T1-11 siding, obviously adding the necessary roofing felt, etc. The only thing you will need to do is replace any damaged materials beforehand. If there is bad siding, replace it, if there is bad framing, replace/repair it, as goes the sub-sheathing if necessary and filling in areas where no siding exists. You need to have a sound shell with a single plane surface, then you can install your siding shakes over the top with no further sheathing necessary.
    I suffer from CDO ... Its like OCD, but in alphabetical order, LIKE IT SHOULD BE!!!

The best thing I have said about T-111 is that it makes good sheathing for REAL siding!

Thanks everyone, this is very useful! It'll save me gobs of time