+ Reply to Thread

Default Bang from shower

Sometimes when I turn on my shower I get a banging noise from inside the wall. It only does it from the one shower. I was told it was the mixing valve and I was told to change the cartridge. Try to change the cartridge but can't seem to get it out. ANY HELP! or should I call a plumber?

Default Re: Bang from shower

What make faucet do you have?

John

It is a Moen

There are two different Moen faucets. One you turn the handle the other you have to pull the handle to turn it on then turn it to set the temperature. They each requite different pullers. Which one do you have?

John

Your cartridge is hard to pull out due to mineral deposits. Mix some vinegar and water in a spray bottle and squirt some into the old cartridge overnight, after you remove the handle, the sleeve and the cover plate.

You need to get the MOEN CARTRIDGE PULLER which is the right one for your faucet, like John indicated. This little puller will make the job a lot easier.

Make sure the water supply to the shower faucet is off. The old cartridge may have a retaining U clip so pull it out.

Follow the instructions for the puller and carefully pull the cartridge out. Clean the inside of the body, remove all mineral deposits using a small wire brush, then flush it all out by turning the water back on for a couple of seconds.

Get the replacement cartridge (Moen 1220-1225), lubricate the O ring, insert into the body, fit the retaining U clip, and finish with the cover plate and handle. Test and caulk around the cover plate, so no water gets into the wall.

Of course, any time you feel you can't do it, you can call a plumber. Watch him do it so you can replace it some 40 years later...

I have the turn handle type. I got as far as the cartridge at one point. I pulled the U clip out. I just could not get the cartridge out. Although I tried with a pair of needle nose pliers. Not the puller that I have seen at Home Depot. I will try the puller and the vinegar

theres usually a little plastic tool piece and instructions that comes with the new cartridge that will help pop the old cartridge out when you twist it sideways.