+ Reply to Thread

Default Yet another drainage problem...

Greetings,

Just joined the board and am going to start with a big post.

Purchased a house about a year ago. Originally build back in the 40s (at least), and rebuilt due to fire in 89'. Basement is buried about 6' deep in front. Yard in back is at ground level and slopes away...about 5-8 feet 100 feet away from back door. Front yard is the problem. The frond yard is only about 25 feet to the street. The yard slopes up about 2 feet to the street. There is a drainage ditch next to the street about 2 feet deep that drains okay, but may have some standing water in it after a heavy rain. On the other side of the street there is a deep ditch that has water in it much of the time because its over a foot deeper than the train tube. The neighbors yard on the other side of the street slopes up about 20 feet over about 75 feet. My yard drains well, but probably because it soaks in and then drains towards the house. No noticeable water flowing on the surface towards the house. After a heavy rain and/or long continuous rain the entire front of the basements gets water in. It comes in from the junction of the wall (block) and the floor. I know the water is not coming up from underneath because I installed a sump pump last year and it rarely runs and the pit drains very well. Water is building up in the wall because last year after some good rains I drilled a hole in the block about 6 inches up the wall and water poured out like a hose! The soil in the yard is composed of about 6 inches of top soil and the rest underneath is all red clay.

So, I know that the best fix would be to dig out around the house (not fond of any of the plants so I won't be heartbroken by their loss), waterproof the wall, back fill and install a french drain. After all of the above my question is...how deep do I install the drain? Does it need to be all the way down at the base of the wall or only a foot or two deep? If the water is soaking into the ground through the top soil, flowing along the clay level to the house and then flowing down the wall and/or seeping into the block then I can see a foot or two into the clay will divert the water from getting to the wall. My concern is that it may soak into the clay and moving to the house (if this is actually possible). The first situation makes sense but I would like some advice.

Default Re: Yet another drainage problem...

If I understand your neighborhood geography, your back yard is lower than your neighbors front yard. True?

You can make a passive system to drain the front of the foundation by;

1- Digging along the side of the house to the depth of the foundation's bottom. Make a big U shape around your house. DO this in stages as not to collapse the foundation.

2- Install landscape fabric encapsulating a 2'x2' box of crushed stone 3/4" or larger with a SDR schedule 35 pipe at the bottom. The pipe rises towards the front of the house 1/8" to 1/4" per foot.

3- The bottom end of the pipe leads out to the back yard, down hill somewhere it will do no harm

4- Before back filling, install a drainage mat on the side of the foundation. This will allow any water that hits the foundation wall to drain down to the stone & pipe below.

5- Backfill with soil.

Basically you are creating a septic type leach field that works in reverse. The digging is messy, but the work is very straight forward and the materials are fairly cheap. IMHO this method is FAR better than letting the water into the basement then pumping it out. Far better. This year we heard from a number of people who had power failures as well as sump pumps that got over-run by the excessive rains. Done properly, the passive system described above will work flawlessly every time.

HoustonRemodeler,

Thanks for the advice. I was planning to do something similar to what you described. I am digging out some window wells on one side of the house to install windows for the basement remodel. I was going to put in a french type drain at the bottom of them to keep water from collecting there. I was going to tie in whatever drain system I put in the front to that one. I was just not sure to what extent I had to dig the front one...now I know. More digging, but at least the basement will finally be dry!

As a warning to others...DON'T ever try to work around a leaky basement by installing a raised subfloor so the water can go under the floor...or build walls using pressure treated lumber so it can withstand the water. That is what we have been ripping out for the last year because the original owner tried to cut corners. Stupid is all I can say. Just go the extra mile and fix the source of the problem!

geneticswhiz...tell them the facts: never invest in something that is due to fail.