+ Reply to Thread

Thread: water stains

Default water stains

I have yellowish/brownish water stains appeared suddenly in the living room ceiling. I discovered it in the morning on 2/17 (Wed) after the rigid cold day (-22 degree) on 2/14 (Sun), snow storm on 2/15 (Mon) and a warm day (48 degree) on 2/16 (Tue). The water stain is a line 7 feet long and width is 7 inches. Another water stain is 4 feet long and width is about 7 inches. The 3rd water stain is about 5 feet long and width is about 7 inches. They connect with each other like a U shape. The U shape water stain appeared all at once suddenly on the living room ceiling, just right up the ceiling is the bathroom. I called plumbers and finally had a plumber called me back after a few days. I did not use the bathroom while I was waiting for plumbers' reply. The plumber asked me to used the toilet one day, shower on 2nd day & 2 water sinks on 3rd day to find out where is the water leak. I follow instructions and cannot find any water leaking and the stain stays the same shape, not getting worse. I have walk up attic and I can't any water leaking in the attic ceiling, floor and even no water stain on the 2/F ceiling. I checked the vent pipe on the attic (which is go through to the roof) and I touched the pipe, cannot find any wet when it was on a rainy day. I don't think it is condensation becasue my water pipe is CPVC not copper. Besides, my living room and 2nd floor temperature will be lower than 65 degree, so I should not have frozen pipe that will condensation happend. No clue why the water stain appeared and how the water comes to the living room ceiling. I am afraid the mold and something happpened inside the ceiling that I don't know. Hope some experts can help to find out the clue.
    For more infomation, I don't use that bathroom much. On 2/12 (Fri), the town had to fix the fire hydrate just opposite to my house, the town shut down the water and I had no water came in until 3 pm on that day. I started to use water in the kitchen in the evening, the water was very brown color. I also checked the bathroom, it had brown water too. I switched on the water tap and kept the water running until clear only in the kitchen. I did not use the bathroom since then, I don't know whether it has relation with the water stain.

Thank you in advance.

Default Re: water stains

It sounds like the right timing to be a roof leak caused by ice dams. Cold weather following a snowfall.
    Casey
    Remove not the ancient landmark, which your fathers have set.

Thanks for the reply. The question is if the roof leak, I should found some water stains or water spot on the ceiling or on the floor in the walk up attic on rainy days. Nothing can be found. The water stains are on 1st floor living room ceiling (not 2/F and not walk up attic). Very strange.

Grace

If what you have are water stains, you could have a leaking pipe between the first and second floors. To verify, you will need to cut some ceilings.

I had a similar case sometime ago, and after cutting a large enough opening in the ceiling, I saw the water pipes but I found nothing (no leak). I patched it all up, primed and painted and the problem never returned.

A safe bet would be to call someone who's pretty experienced in the field. Roof leaks can become a major issue.