+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Getting out cat pee smell???

We have been living in the same house for about 8 years now. Three years ago we took in a cat who was fine for about a year until our son came along. At that point she started acting out and peed in several spots. We noticed a smell, but could not pinpoint the problem at first, and eventually we figured it out and got rid of the cat.

There were two rooms that were hit the worst. In the first on the main floor, the cat would pee on the carpet and in the heat duct. With an unfinished basement I was able to easily access the heat run and replace 15 feet of the duct work. I ripped out the carpet and coated the Zinsser BIN primer and then had new carpet installed. There is still an off odor in the room and cannot figure that out. I have not done anything to the second room yet, but we are expecting child #2 soon and I will need to fix the second room.

Does anyone have any advice on getting rid of the cat pee smell? I don't want to take out subfloor and drywall, but if that is the only option I will attempt to figure it out!

ANY advice would be GREATLY appreciated. I am sick of a stinky house!!!

Default Re: Getting out cat pee smell???

Cat urine is one of the worst to try to cover, and that is all you can do is try to cover it up.

You are on the right track with replacing the carpet and pad, as well as sealing the floor with BIN primer. Question, how many coats of BIN did you use? One coat is not enough, it takes two coats minimum, more if you know the urine made it all the way to the surface in which you are sealing.

While you were sealing the floor with BIN, did you also do the walls and ceiling? Because drywall is porous, it will harbor odors. Seal it up with BIN followed by a couple top coats of your favorite paint and you should be well on your way to solving the odor problem.

I once had to remodel a home that had been inhabited by dozens of cats that had no litter box, so they used any surface they happened to be on. The stench in this house was so great that you literally could not breathe. We started by stripping all the floor coverings out of the entire house, we then treated the slab floor with a urine neutralizer, then pressurewashed it. That was followed by sealing every single surface in the house with many coats of BIN, culminating in completely repainting the interior. We then spread baking soda on the floor and laid new carpet and vinyl. By the time we were done, there was just a hint of a musky aroma. There were budgetary constraints and this was a government job, so we couldn't do what I would have preferred, and that was to strip the place down to bare stud to completely get rid of the odor ridden drywall.
    I suffer from CDO ... Its like OCD, but in alphabetical order, LIKE IT SHOULD BE!!!

Spruce's answer is very conclusive. He mentioned baking soda - do the baking sode solution treatment and see if it works. Vinegar could work too.

I'd re-paint the walls and ceiling. Just like a smoker, that cat scent gets everywhere.

Add one more vote for the Zinnser BIN. Its good stuff.

If the cat wasn't neutered, then she may have sprayed the walls, so painting the bottom foot or two of the walls is a good idea. If you are sure the odor is only in the floor, then wood ash will cover and absorb the smell better than anything else that I know of. The problem is hiding the wood ash. It would be Ok under the carpet, but that just about it.

Thanks for the advice thus far. I did two coats of Bin and was generous with the areas I covered. We had tried washing the carpet in that room numerous times, so I am wondering how badly it penetrated into the subfloor. Also, I am wondering if some got on the baseboards and if those need to be treated or replaced.

I am thinking that with the upstairs bedroom I will do thing right and rip things out (if the wife doesn't object too much. And I am a total Noob amateur with anything like that. I can paint with the best of them, but have little actual construction experience.

The "cat house" that I worked on, the lower 16" of all the walls had been sprayed by the cats, so it is entirely possible that your baseboards got hit, which is why I recommended sealing at least the walls, but every wall, floor, ceiling, in the rooms affected by the cats. Again, drywall is porous and takes on odors, so sealing everything is a necessity.

The carpet will have to go because there is no way to get the odor out of it once the urine reaches the backing or the padding underneath. When you pull the carpet you're likely going to see the staining on the underside of it and possibly on the padding. In really bad situations you'll see staining all the way to the subfloor under the padding, but really, if it got to the carpet backing, even if the liquid urine didn't go any further, the odor has, which is why you have to completely seal the subfloor.

What I would recommend is to strip the carpet and pad out of the room and assess the situation. You might be able to treat the subfloor with something like Natures Miracle or other urine neutralizer, which will reduce the amount of sealing you have to do, but it never hurts to be over cautious about it. Seriously, what's $50 in materials if you redo the entire room and can still smell the urine? An extra coat or two of sealer will eliminate all the odors, better safe than sorry.
    I suffer from CDO ... Its like OCD, but in alphabetical order, LIKE IT SHOULD BE!!!

When you brought the new baby home, your cat decided to mark her territory, so she no doubt peed on the walls, thats how they mark their territory, and it will reach from the floor to about 15" up the wall in most cases as A. Spruce found out.

You might try a mix of 1qt hydrogen peroxide with a cup of baking soda on any surfaces that you want to neutralize. It works for skunk so it might work for cat pee.

In the up stairs room, it will probably be easiest to find the mid seam in the wall and remove that sheet rock and replace it and the baseboards. Then remove the carpet, treat the area underneath with the peroxide/baking soda solution and wait a few days to see if that has helped remove the smell.

If the smell still remains, then try Natures Miracle or similar products. I would recommend that you try to neutralize as much of the smell as possible before you paint over with the Bin. The less smell you have, the better the Bin will work.

I just moved and the previous tenant had pets and also smoked. Odors were throughout the house, the landlord compensated me for repainting all the interior walls, I added the Air-ReNu paint additive that a friend recommended and thankfully, the house stays smelling fresh no more odors. One last as long as the paint is intact, works continually no re-application required.

One thing that is not very well known yet is Norwex!!! Their products are amazing and everyone should give them a try! Their Odour Eliminator works wonders on cat pee and everything else I have tried it on! No joke!!!! We DIDN'T have to replace our carpet! Give it a try anyone who is interested!!! It is a product from Norway!