+ Reply to Thread

Default Salvaging old boards

I'm trying to do some renovating in an old feed mill my family runs. I'm attempting to tear out some old wooden bins that are no longer useful but I'd like to save the tongue and groove boards that make up the bin walls. Hammer and pry bar is time consuming and often ended up splitting the tongue of the boards. Does anyone know of a better way of going about this?

Default Re: Salvaging old boards

Can you get behind the boards to clip the nails with a sawzall?
    I suffer from CDO ... Its like OCD, but in alphabetical order, LIKE IT SHOULD BE!!!

That was actually my next thought. Ive never tried to salvage boards for resale like this so i'm just winging it and didnt know if there was some standard way that people use. I think ill probably try the sawzaw thing.

using a recip to cut the nails holding the boards on works great but can burn up the blade quickly if you dont create a space first for the blade to fit into. what i do is cut wooden wedges first out of scrap 2x4 which i drive between the boards an studs, doing this does less damage to the boards than a prybar does also
    fire up the saw and make some dust

Depending on what kind of nails were used and what kind of wood, you might be able to drive the nails all the way through the boards with a thin countersink. It works on finish nails anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by toxcrusadr View Post
    Depending on what kind of nails were used and what kind of wood, you might be able to drive the nails all the way through the boards with a thin countersink. It works on finish nails anyway.
    That's an interesting approach. I can apply that idea to some things I'm taking apart.