+ Reply to Thread

Question Securing Pocket Doors

I plan to install pocket door in walls that are 4 inches thick and want to ensure that the instalation is secure. What kind of studs should I use to install them?

Default Re: Securing Pocket Doors

A picture is worth 1000 words.

Before you buy your pocket door, go to youtube and watch some videos. If you still have questions after you watch them, write back!

good luck!

A pocket door in a 4" wall is not likely to be secure. you will end up with a wall on each side that is less than 1" thick.

Jack
    Be sure you live your life, because you are a long time dead.-Scottish Proverb

pocket doors can be installed in a wall that's 4 1/4" thick. you will have to remove the existing wall back as far as the recessed pocket doors will go. then buy a pocket door kit that has the side metal supports with wood inlays so that you can screw new blueboard onto them which will bring your wall back. this is tough to describe, there's a fair amount of work involved but it can definitely be done. check out youtube to get some ideas and see what's involved before you tackle this.

Considering you have drywall over 2x4's I wouldn't consider that very secure either. A few good punches and you're in the next room. A pocket door frame is just as easy to break through.

Pocket door walls are notoriously thin in modern construction. Read up on the manufacturers to see what you like.

Guys, just a guess, but I'm thinking that the OP was asking about securing the door and frame INTO the existing wall framing, in other words he's installing the door, not that the pocket is some sort of security door.

The only thing I can think of that hasn't been covered yet is whether the wall you're putting the door into is structural or not. If so, you will need to install a suitable header to span the width of the pocket door and frame. If this is not a bearing wall, then no problem.

Regardless of bearing or not, you want the rough frame opening (wall studs and header ) just slightly larger than the pocket door assembly itself. The king studs on either end need to go from bottom to top plates within the wall framing.
    I suffer from CDO ... Its like OCD, but in alphabetical order, LIKE IT SHOULD BE!!!