+ Reply to Thread

Default how to landscape around spruce tree

I have a 3 story high pine tree in my front yard that barely has any grass growing around it. The area I am looking to landscape from the fence to the side walk is approximately 15x 15. I am interested in learning what I can use to cover the area so that there is no longer any grass showing as there is not much there to grow anyways. I am thinking to use mulch as it is natural product. I also need some advice on how to do it. eg. do i need to put down a membrane to prevent any grass from growing, what is the best type of mulch to use, etc.

Tara

Default Re: how to landscape around spruce tree

Pick up a landscape book (or something like sunset mag) and get some creative ideas, then choose the one that appeals to you the most.

Send photos plz.

If you get nursery catalogs in the mail, just look for deep shade living plants that have a hardiness rating for your zone. If you don't get those catalogs in eh mail, then just google for nursery catalogs, there are plenty.

A local nursery can also help with plant selection. I would recommend that you use a weed killer like Round Up a week or two before planting. Be sure to look for a mix of evergreen plants and perennial plants. You should also leave a little room for planting some annuals or if you are not that much into gardening, plant a few annuals that are known for reseeding naturally in your area, but be careful for reseeders that are classified as invasive in your area.

Pine trees drop their needles and become their own mulch, choking out almost everything underneath. If you have ever walked through a pine forest, it is obvious that there is little underbrush. It has kind of a naturalized look. I would probably just leave the needles alone. Also, the soil under a pine will be very acidic, limiting what could grow there.