+ Reply to Thread

Smile Hardwood Flooring

Does anyone know or have tips on how to use the smooth side of plywood for flooring?

Default Re: Hardwood Flooring

what is that you're asking?

Are you suggesting to rip the plywood, possibly adding a tongue and groove.... milling your own flooring?

Or maybe you're just looking to lay it down, and apply some sort of faux finish?

What's type of room, etc.?
    Last edited by peterbouchard; 04-13-2009 at 08:34 PM.

Smile Re: Hardwood Flooring

We were not considering the tongue & groove option. When my husband saw this on tv he said they just laid the smooth side up, fillied in the gaps, sanded & finished it with a sealer. My concern is the gaps. This would be used in the kitchen & living room which will be one large open area.

Default Re: Hardwood Flooring

things that make you go hmmm.... I'm not sure about filling the gaps. I personally wouldn't try something like that. What I might try is to use some thin strapping (like a spline) that would hide the cracks. I would countersink the straps in some sort of way. Not sure how I would go about this...maybe a router would be best. This is sounding sort of interesting. What if you stained the strapping a shade or so off from the floor itself? Makes me wonder if I would cut the 4x8 sheets into 4x4 as well. Could put some art work in the floor too before finishing

THis sort of thing is interesting, but something that I would almost want to test out before I went with it. I'm also not sure of the cost savings...got to believe it would be a high savings.

What did they use to adhere the flooring to the subfloor? Did they face nail it, use a construction adhesive, or both?

I love projects like this...where one can try to come up with something that is different, inexpensive, and looks great.

I'm not sure I would try to go with a perfect fit with the strapping either. I might even hand sand down the edges of both the ply as well as the strapping..not sure.

Adding here (edit). Might not use strapping-like boards, but instead assemble the floor with boards in between the 4x4 sheets...could be splines..
    Last edited by peterbouchard; 04-14-2009 at 06:42 PM. Reason: more thoughts