+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Smile 5/8" to 55/64" plumbing adapter

I want to put a water filter on a spout that is 5/8 inch.
    That is apparently a very odd size and I haven't been able to find an adapter to the water filter, which is the std 55/64" size.
    Any suggestions where I can find one? I checked my local home depot and 2 plumbing supply places near my house, so I think I need to go on line.

Also, the faucet manufacturer told me the dimension is "5/8 - 27 UNS" What do the extra letters mean, and is that important in purchasing the adapter.

Thank!

Default Re: 5/8" to 55/64" plumbing adapter

There is no such thing as 55/64 in plumbing fittings. 5/8" is the OD of 1/2" copper and your 55/64 could be the OD of 3/4" copper which is 7/8". Just where are you getting these numbers from?

John

Thanks for the reply.

The OD of the faucet as being 5/8 - 27 UNS is from the manufacturer's spec. I can post if need be.

The water filter is just a standard one (Culligan FM-15A Level 3 Faucet Filter) and I got the 55/64 ID from a rep on the phone. Whatever it is, it's the generic faucet size.

The bigger problem has been finding an adapter with the 5/8" female for the faucet.

Could the filter be an imported unit with metric sizes?

If it's a "whole house" filter, it's got to be 3/4".

I've installed so many of them, made in the USA, with names like Omni, Whirlpool, Metco, Culligan, Ecodyne. They all have 3/4" in and out for whole house filter bodies.

I don't know if you know Newport Brass, but it's the one you find if you google search 'newport brass chesterfield 943 kitchen faucet' I tried uploading the spec they sent me, too but it's too big and I can't post links yet.

I just want to get a water filter attached to it so my kids can drink clean water

Where are you trying to attach the filter? To the cold water line or to the faucets spout? The connections for the water supply's to the faucet take standard supply tubes.

John

Quote Originally Posted by johnjh2o View Post
    Where are you trying to attach the filter? To the cold water line or to the faucets spout? The connections for the water supply's to the faucet take standard supply tubes.

John
    John, I think that he is trying to attach a spout filter (something like britta).

ettlinger,
    Why struggle with the spout? a simpler solution would be to buy a $29 water filter from HD or Lowes - it goes under the sink and attaches on the cold water supply line.

Yes, dj1 is right - I was trying to attach it to the spout.

dj1 - I didn't realize that was an option. Can you show me an example of what you mean? Is a filter that attaches to the supply line something you can flip on and off so that you only have it on for drinking water vs. washing dishes, etc?

Thanks!

Under the sink water filter is a better choice. I have them in all my rentals. It goes on the cold supply. The good filters are inexpensive (about $6 each and available everywhere) and long lasting (about 3 months, depending on use).

The filter units come with simple installation instructions. I use brass 1/2" or 3/4" nipples (depending on the unit) for in and out. It doesn't have a diverter, that means that you always get filtered water. But so what? the filter is big.

You'll be amazed on how much crap is filters out. In my house I have a whole house filter, a cold water filter under the kitchen sink and a filter in the refrigerator. I am full of filters.

Of course there are more expensive filtering units (reverse osmosis), so it's entirely up to you to decide on the right one for you. If you have relatively good quality city water, rest assure that the $29 unit will be very good.

Thanks for your suggestion!
    I ordered the Culligan US-600A 3/8-Inch Undersink Drinking Water Filter on your advice.

Hopefully the filter won't impede the flow and pressure too much for doing the dishes.