+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Rusty Water

Default Rusty Water

We are on a well and have a problem with rusty water. We recently put in a whole house water filter, but the rust problem continues. What would be the next step. The house and well were built in 1998.

Thanks!

Default Re: Rusty Water

Any difference between cold and hot? If it's only hot, I think you can narrow it down to the hot water heater. Otherwise it may just be a natural result of minerals in the well water that a water filter may not always catch. A water softener may help in addition to the filter. There are also additives for water softeners as well as filters dedicated to rust removal.
    My advice and opinions come from hands on knowledge...and This Old House Hidden Content

Your question got me thinking about it and at first I thought maybe the hot water, but we replaced the hot water heater at the same time we put in the filter.

Maybe the next step is the water softener.

Thanks

Have you tested the water? if not, get a testing kit to find out your iron in the well.

A water softner will help.

There is a product, I believe it's called Rust Out that can help a water softner do a better job.

There is also a rust filter that goes in the well. Google to find out where to get it.

While you are experimenting, drink/cook bottle water.

Softeners are mot made for iron removal. They will remove some, but it shortens the life of the machine and is not efficient. If you have high iron, an iron filter is needed. This should be prior to softening.

If you just have rust in the softener, clean it first before you spend a lot of money. There are several cleaners out there. Iron Out works well. I like Rust Raize the best. Some salts, Usually in a green bag have cleaner in them, but you're paying alot more for that than doing it yourself. Plus you shouldn't have to clean it more than a couple times a year. The green bag salts do it all the time.
    Waste not, want not.
    Use it up. Wear it out. Make it due, or due without.

Where can i find an iron filter or who makes them?

Thanks

Google 'rust filter' or you can find it in stores. Study/research the various filters before you buy, so you end up with the one for you.