+ Reply to Thread

Default Space for Microwave/remove dishwasher

I have a galley kitchen and my microwave sits on a 24" counter top between the refrigerator and stove. I would like to move it off of the countertop. I don't have room to add a cart or island. My electric stove has an exhaust and fan above it.

I also want to remove my dishwasher which I don't use, and replace it with some additional cabinet space.

Any suggestions?

Default Re: Space for Microwave/remove dishwasher

1. Moving your microwave oven will give a full use of the countertop between the stove and the ref. Find another space for it.

2. Removing a dishwasher generally is not very difficult, but it could be complicated sometimes.
    If it sits on the same level as the floor, it would slide out rather easily.
    - Disconnect the power to the dishwasher. You'll need some electric skills for that.
    - Disconnect the hot water supply to the dishwasher. Make sure the hot water supply to the DW is plugged (it depends on the setup you have under the sink).
    - Disconnect the DW discharge (if it discharges into the garbage disposer, you need to plug the opening).
    Now you are ready to bring the DW out.

3. To fit in a new cabinet, you'll need some skills of a finished carpenter.

Removing the DW will work and the microwave can be built in. An ordinary over the stove microwave is 30" wide. A DW is 24" wide

Whatever you do, use screws so the process can be reversed by the next home owner. You'd be surprised how folks will throw a hissy fit if there is no DW.

If you place the microwave over the stove, what happens to the exhaust fan? What is the bare bones cost for a microwave to be built in?

When over the stove, they are vented the same way a stove is; either piped outside or vented back into the room.

Cost is whatever you want to pay for it. I dunno where you are, what the job conditions are and don't know what contractors charge in your area. You will need skilled hands, which get paid well.

(1) Don't they make a over-the-stove microwave/exhaust combo ? The demand for this kind of appliance is large enough for a manufacturer to offer it. Depending on the existing overhead cabinets, modifications may be necessary to mount it.

(2) My current microwave is under the counter - a GE convection unit housed in a shell (which probably fits a 24" oven if I wanted it later). When under the counter, it is a pain in the back to insert & remove (hot) food in a front loading microwave, and just as inconvenient to clean. A draw loading microwave is more convenient but it is bigger bucks and the money begins to add up when you add other costs.

(3) I don't know how you can live without a DW because it is a dish holding pen that frees up your sink and controls food odors, and avoid having to continually wash cups, dishes, etc. Also, as mentioned, it is a deal killer for the ladies not to have a DW if you plan to sell the house one day.

Just one guy's opinion.

To keep costs down, I wanted to try and convert an overhead cabinet into a space for the microwave. That way I won't have to do anything to the exhaust over the stove.

T_Manero - I'm a single parent of a 16 yr old. I don't cook much so there's not a lot of dishes that pile up. The space would serve me so much better for storage.