+ Reply to Thread

Default Well pump noises

My 20 year old well pump works fine building up pressure, but when it stops I hear a quick series of noises coming from the tank. It is 5-6 who-hoo-hoo-hoo-hoo noises over about 1.5 seconds. They are not very loud and decrease in intensity from beginning to end of the series. The noise sounds like combination of a whease, moan or, sob and laugh, perhaps with a slight rub or low squeak to begin with underneath the noise. As it happen the water gauge goes down quickly.

What is it and what do I do about it? Thanks.
    Last edited by Jim w; 06-11-2012 at 11:01 AM.

Default Re: Well pump noises

Is this a submersible pump? Does the pump come back on immediately after the gauge goes down?

My first post went to moderation, not sure why, but the spam reject filter can be a little sensitive sometimes.

If the answer to the above is yes to both, then you have a defective check valve. This is a one way valve between the pump and the tank. There may be two of them, one near the tank and the other in the well just above the pump. One or both might need replacing.

I'm doing a series of short posts here in case I trip the spam filter again. This is my second attempt at this section so I will split it up and see if I can isolate the problem words.

If the pump is not cycling on and off a lot, then you probably have the gauge located in the check valve and the pump switch located in between the check valve and the tank. Then the check valve at this location is good, but either the check valve built into the pump or located just above it is bad.

Now for the last paragraph.

If all else is OK, this is pretty harmless. But if you are getting a lot of air in your pipes, that is the faucets in your house a spitting air out periodically, then you have a problem. The pipe going down into the well has a crack in it and needs to be replaced or repaired. If this is not fixed, it can lead to other problems.

That is interesting, something in the last two paragraphs must trigger the filter when sent together, but they both went in separately. BTW, moderators, I am not complaining about the spam filter. While it has been a minor inconvenience for this post, it is far less annoying than all those spammers that used to plague this site. I am really thankful that it works as well as it does.
    Last edited by keith3267; 06-11-2012 at 03:32 PM.

I have observed a similar problem when the pressure switch is too far away from the tank. When the switch shuts off, inertia of the water flowing through the pipe (or maybe it's resistance in the pipe) to the tank causes a pressure drop at the switch, causing the pump to restart, which causes a pressure surge which causes the switch to shut off and the whole cycle repeats.

In that particular instance, the pressure switch was in a pumphouse about 75 feet from the pressure tank in the house. Adding a small pressure tank in the pumphouse resolved the issue.
    The "Senior Member" designation under my name doesn't mean I know a lot, it just means I talk a lot.I've been a DIYer since I was 12 (thanks, Dad!). I have read several books on various home improvement topics. I do not have any current code books I can refer to. I was an apprentice plumber for two years.

Thanks for the replys. I believe it is a submersible pump in the well pipe. The pump is working fine and I can see the pressure building on the gauge. When we are using water the pressure falls from just under 70 to about 40 over 30 seconds or so. (depending on rate of flow I guess) The noises occur when the pump stops and their is a significant water use in the house, eg, a sprinkle hose is running. When the flow is small but enough to get the pump to cycle it does not make these noises.

We have no other odd symptoms or behavior. The system has been operating for 20 years now. We have no air in the lines. The noises just started recently. The gauge is right nest to the tank and the well itself is about 15 feet beyond the wall it is on.

How can we determine if the check valve is bad? (btw I can't see one but am not sure what is looks like. I see the gauge and behind that is a grey plastic enclosure with a pip on the top. It's about 3 x 5 wide and 2.5 inches tall. Otherwise I just see plumbing fittings.

If it is a check valve can I repair myself. Will it hurt something else or can I let it go till failure. What might the noise be and could it be the bladder failing? Thanks again.
    Last edited by Jim w; 06-14-2012 at 11:34 AM.

What you are discribbing sounds to me like the sound of the bladder in the bladder tank expanding and contracting. I do have to ask what size bladder tank do you have? 30 seconds to go from 70 to 40 lbs sounds like a very small tank or one that is not set up with the proper pressure.

Jack
    Be sure you live your life, because you are a long time dead.-Scottish Proverb

To me, your second post is completely different from your first post. If no water is being used in your house and the tank pressure does not change, then your check valves are good. Where exactly is the noise coming from, the pipes, the tank?