+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: toilet rocking

Default toilet rocking

I recently had to replace a toilet in a bathroom and since have had problems with the whole commode rocking when in use. Any ideas on what it is and how I can fix it myself?

Default Re: toilet rocking

First thing you have to do is figure out why it's rocking. The most common reason is an uneven floor and loose bolts, however, the flange can be damaged which will make the bolts useless.

Pull the toilet, clean the old wax ring off both the toilet base and the flange in the floor. Inspect the flange for damage, if it's good, you can reset the toilet with a new wax ring, if it's damaged, you'll have to repair it with either a sleeve or a metal overlay flange, depending on whether or not the flange is flush with the floor surface as it should be or if it's too high or low.

Once you seat the toilet into the new wax ring, lightly jiggling it down fully against the floor, snug the hold down bolts finger tight, then use plastic toilet shims to account for any unevenness of the floor. Once the shims are installed, tighten the bolts with a wrench, just enough that the toilet can no longer be moved when you twist it by hand. Tightening these bolts is a delicate process so as to find the happy place of a tight toilet and the very unhappy place of breaking the base of the toilet off by over tightening the bolts.
    I suffer from CDO ... Its like OCD, but in alphabetical order, LIKE IT SHOULD BE!!!

Yep sounds like the collar might be broke....in most cases its pretty common. You can cut a milk jug up for shims. Slip a large pcs under the bottom of the toilet then trace the contour out and cut with a pair of scissors then slip under the toilet as needed.

Plastic bottles cut up are one of the best thin shims avaliable....Plus there FREE...... Ive been using them for shiming out door strike plates and hinges for a long time.
    Gizmo

Cut it 3 times & it's still to short.
    Inventor of the Miter Master Plus.

Hidden Content
    Hidden Content

You can also use a foam ring instead of the wax ring. The foam rings are available from SaniSeal on amazon. We use them all the time.

If you elect to caulk the toilet to the floor, DO NOT caulk all the way around the base. That will trap water under the toilet, which is bad. Very bad.

Use 100% silicone to avoid mold, leaving a 2" gap at the back.

Quote Originally Posted by HoustonRemodeler View Post

If you elect to caulk the toilet to the floor, DO NOT caulk all the way around the base. That will trap water under the toilet, which is bad. Very bad.

Use 100% silicone to avoid mold, leaving a 2" gap at the back.

HR,,,,in florida its code to caulk or grout the entire toilet to the floor......You wont pass the final C.O. inspection without it....Stupid if you ask me.......

Maybe its for hurricanes...or storm SURGE........... wont be long they will add toilet seat belts to the FL Code books
    Last edited by Gizmo; 06-11-2012 at 08:25 AM.
    Gizmo

Hidden Content
    Hidden Content

Properly set, installed and fastened toilet doesn't even need caulking, we just caulk for looks.

The main idea is to set the toilet leveled, then fasten it so it doesn't rock or move.

Gizmo, a seat belt is a good idea...
    Suggest it to the FLORIDA building department.

Just adding to the good advice you have already gotten. Check to be sure that the flange is fastened to the floor.

John

I don't like caulking either and only do it as a last resort when the toilet is made poorly

Quote Originally Posted by dj1 View Post

Gizmo, a seat belt is a good idea...
    Suggest it to the FLORIDA building department.
    Im afraid to ask the builbing dept when were going to need to add seatbelts....heck they may suggest to anchor the toilet with Wedge Anchors for hurricane protection
    Gizmo

Hidden Content
    Hidden Content

Quote Originally Posted by Gizmo View Post
    Im afraid to ask the builbing dept when were going to need to add seatbelts....heck they may suggest to anchor the toilet with Wedge Anchors for hurricane protection
    Next time I'm in FL and there's happen to be a hurricane, I'm going to be hiding in the bathroom, holding the toilet

But seriously, let me emphasize something that Spruce mentioned:
    never over tighten the hold down nuts (and plastic washers) - you will crack the ceramic toilet.