+ Reply to Thread

Default range vent: reduce or build out

After the trials and tribulations of ripping out everything in the kitchen and building it back, I am ready for the penultimate step (just before the range slide-in ceremony): installing a new range hood.

The old range hood was part of a microwave, which was built into the cabinets. The new kitchen design has only base cabinets and some floating shelves. The new hood is a nice stainless unit that goes flush to the wall. The problem is that the 6" vent duct runs smack dab into a rafter.

It seems to me I have two choices: build out a spacer from the wall to mount the hood to. I'll need to bring the hood out out about 2" to make the vent fit right. This still gives plenty of room between the front of the hood and the front of the range. I'm concerned about aesthetics.

The second option is to fabricate an offset reducer that fits the decorative vent housing but does not restrict flow. My idea is to take the duct from 6" to 3", offset from the wall, and have the 3" go into a 3 1/4-by-8" rectangular box (the vent housing does not have any extra space) that travels up past the rafter (about 10") and then flare back to the 6" vent pipe up to the cap. The entire vent length will be ~6 feet. I am concerned that the restriction might not be a successful option.

Any opinions?

Default Re: range vent: reduce or build out

Choose the first option.

If you used a swiveling elbow can you bypass the rafter/truss to make the connection above??????
    Gizmo

Cut it 3 times & it's still to short.
    Inventor of the Miter Master Plus.

Hidden Content
    Hidden Content

Unfortunately no. The decorative vent cover does not have sufficient space.

Is the rafter and ceiling joist in the flue or just the rafter,,,If the roof is conventional framed you can header the ceilg joist and rafter off....If its trusses then thats another animal.that needs a different approach
    Gizmo

Cut it 3 times & it's still to short.
    Inventor of the Miter Master Plus.

Hidden Content
    Hidden Content

You are right. I am mangling the terminology. It is the ceiling joist that is in the wrong spot. Nothing I want to cut into.

freddie,

There is a way to cut the joist, and that's a job for a framer. It involves doubling the joists to the right and the left of the cut joist and then running two double blockers on both sides of the cut.
    It's done all the times for access ways to attics.

I still recommend option 1: to move the hood by 2" as you mentioned. Easier and cheaper, don't you think?

Yes. That's the direction I've settled on. MUCH less trouble than the other options and requires no significant engineering.

Thanks all!