+ Reply to Thread

Hybrid View

Default Old fashion sliding porch windows

Our modest 1880s New England Italianate house had the porch enclosed sometime back in the first half of the last century. Unfortunately they put in inoperable windows so it bakes in the summer. We'd like to replace the windows with old fashion gliding porch windows, something in keeping with the character of the house. This is a three season, unheated porch, so we're not worried about double pane glass and weather stripping, which rules out any of the prefabricated windows. I have been unable to find any information on the best design to use to build these windows so that they slide most easily. I'm looking for suggestions on where I can find information on constructing these windows. I have located a place that will manufacture the sash, so it's designing the track and frame that I'm interested in learning more about.

We are going to hire a contractor to do the work, but none I have talked to have any experience with this, so I want to give them some guidance rather than pay for them to guess.

There aren't many of these type of windows where I live (most have been enclosed with aluminum storm windows) so I can't go look at other houses to see how they were made.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Default Re: Old fashion sliding porch windows

sounds like you just need some tracks made or fabricated out of either wood or alumnum. not a tough job. where in new england are you? if you're within 45 minutes of the boston area i could help you out.

Thanks, that would be great. I'm in Newton.

i'm in neeedham. shoot me an email and i'll stop by to take a look at it. my email is mlbconstruction1@gmail.com

I donít know so much about sliding window but I think casement windows would be good for you, according to your situation. It looks old style window and also very easy to seal out the weather.

I’d suggest you contact Champion Windows – they’ll help you choose the right windows in keeping with the character of your home. They manufacture their own windows so you can have them custom fit. They also provide lifetime guarantee on materials and installation. We used them and had all our windows replaced. Our house is really old, too – about 150 years. We searched a lot and Champion was the only one that offered TimberBond windows. They’re vinyl windows with a permanent woodgrain finish. They look exactly like wood windows so we’ve been able to keep the “charm” of our old home. You can get details here, if you’re interested. Just ask for a free in-home estimate.
    Last edited by Crowealethea; 04-24-2013 at 07:33 AM.