+ Reply to Thread

Question Expose Brick wall in kitchen remodel?

We are remodeling a kitchen in a Norwegian Brick home built in 1978. The location is Middleburg, Florida.
    We are considering exposing (removing drywall and wood strips from)a portion of the brick wall as part of the remodel. The wall in question is an exterior wall covered on the outside by a screened porch.
    Are there any potential problems with this course of action?
    There are no electrical or plumbing connections on this wall but it does have a window installed.
    What would be the best way or product to use for the transition from adjacent interior walls (drywall) to this brick wall?

Default Re: Expose Brick wall in kitchen remodel?

There could be some problems, the first one is moisture.

Are you referring to moisture from the outside? The wall is covered on the exterior. I would guess that this would be worse covered by drywall.

It will take a skilled hand to make the transition to drywall from the brick, but its certainly do-able.

The down side of the exposed brick is maintenance. As long as your cleaning staff is up to speed, then the brick accent will look great.

Quote Originally Posted by diyjaco View Post
    Are you referring to moisture from the outside? The wall is covered on the exterior. I would guess that this would be worse covered by drywall.
    What kind of exterior wall covering do you have over the brick wall? if the covering doesn't have/include a moisture barrier, there will be moisture on the inside wall, and that's a problem.

The exterior of the kitchen wall is located in a screened porch so it is not exposed to the elements other than the moist air of Florida.
    There is no covering (paint, stucco etc)on any of the exterior brick walls.
    I've noticed other posts on this site regarding using a sealant on exterior brick walls but there have not been any suggestions on what to use or if it is required.
    This is my first brick home so I'm in unfamilar territory.

A screened patio would not give you any protection against moisture of any kind. The wall must have a moisture barrier.

Consult local general/masonry contractors.