+ Reply to Thread

Talking electrical problem

All of a sudden three rooms in my house have no electricity to them. Some of the outlets are out, but the switch in the room works. Some rooms have no electricity in the outlets or the switches. What would cause a sudden loss of power, nothing apparant has changed

Default Re: electrical problem

Howdy sounds like you have a tripped circuit breaker. The light in bedrooms is most times not on the same circuit as the outlets so when the outlets trip you can still use the light to see. Check the main breaker panel to see if a breaker needs to be reset simply click it off an back on if it re trips then have electrician come and trouble shoot the issue. If the outlet is a arc fault protected breaker it has a push in button to rest it other wise it is a toggle kinda like a light switch if you have never had experience with breakers as a friend or neighbor to show you how to rest the breaker.
    Any an all of my comments are just my opinion and not to be confused with facts.

First do as above suggested and flip breakers all the way off and then back on. If you have GFCI outlets be sure non are tripped. Another cause could be wiring connected in the stab connectors on receptacles rather than on the screws.

Jack
    Be sure you live your life, because you are a long time dead.-Scottish Proverb

hey thanks guys, will try and let you know how i make out. thank you Nina

Do you know if you have aluminum wiring?

Quote Originally Posted by ricomom View Post
    All of a sudden three rooms in my house have no electricity to them. Some of the outlets are out, but the switch in the room works. Some rooms have no electricity in the outlets or the switches. What would cause a sudden loss of power, nothing apparant has changed
    Since the problem has affected receptacles and some lights in three rooms I would look for something other than one single pole breaker.

The main breaker or a bad power company connection is probable.

Since calling the power company is free that's where I would start.