+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default peeling and craxking garage walls

Our garage walls (interior) are peeling and cracking heavily. What is the best way to prepare them for repainting? Is there a special paint or primer that should be used for such an interior/exterior surface?

Default Re: peeling and craxking garage walls

What is the humidity like in your garage? Alligatoring of the paint is typical in high humidity/wet locations. It is something common to bathrooms with insufficient ventilation. In garages it is usually caused by improperly vented or non-vented dryers.

Is there any staining? If so, seal the area with several coats of BIN primer (Zinsser red label ). Float out the rough walls with drywall topping compound and lightly sand to smooth finish.

With the repairs done, apply two coats of Bullseye 123 primer (Zinsser blue label ), and follow with two coats of your paint of choice.
    I suffer from CDO ... Its like OCD, but in alphabetical order, LIKE IT SHOULD BE!!!

The problem is the result of having the dryer venting into the garage. We remedied that years ago. We are only now addressing the paint issue. Moisture is not an issue other than what may occur as a result of outside humidity.

Then the guideline I gave you will be sufficient. Good luck with your project, let us know how it goes.
    I suffer from CDO ... Its like OCD, but in alphabetical order, LIKE IT SHOULD BE!!!

S.c.r.a.p.e the walls first, then apply Zinsser stop peel. After that follow Spruce's advice. Put out all pilot lights when using bin primer. Also use mask and or open windows and doors.

Quote Originally Posted by Tacoma John View Post
    Put out all pilot lights when using bin primer. Also use mask and or open windows and doors.
    Oops, yeah, that's kind of important information I forgot to add.

When using BIN, you would pass out from drunkeness due to alkohol inhalation before reaching explosive concentrations. Anyone who has used the stuff soon learns to open the windows. I used to spray the stuff in entire family rooms while blanking out 1960's dark wood paneling. I probably would have blown drunk if stopped by the police in my truck, in spite of having worn a carbon filter respirator.

Also, there is a reason why furnaces and hot water heaters are always mounted a couple feet off the floor when they are located in garages (they aren't normally in cold climates). Fumes are heavier than air and tend to hug the floor. Your car is a far bigger potential source of ignitable fumes than a little BIN or oil paint in a garage. But if it makes you nervous....

I will admit that my garage/shop heater is a sealed combustion chamber gas fired unit which is ceiling mounted. Ja, even I get nervous about explosive possibilities.

Ordjen, there was a painter here in Tacoma that blew himself up using Bin Primer. Granted he was spraying, but you never know how a home owner may apply the paint and/or primer. This is why I tell everyone to put out all flame sources when using Bin.

Tacoma,

I would wonder if the poor fellow was using regular spray equipment or HVLP? A regular high pressure gun would certainly greatly increase the vapor in the air. Also, whenever I was spraying, I had positive ventilation with a small fan in the window pulling the fumes out of the area. I would also turn off the furnace or A/C during the active spraying, mainly to keep the fumes and dust from spreading into the rest of the house, but also preventing a spark ignition on the furnace from igniting more than the just the furnace.

Ordjen, I believe the fellow was using an airless. It was a client of my paint rep. It really doesn't matter other than the volume of primer put out per minute. The gasses are still there. I prefer Cover Stain, same company. Cover stain has a higher flash point than Bin Primer. Comparing the two is like comparing gasoline to diesel fuel. Both burn, but one takes a lot more to ignite. The only use I have had for Bin Primer is to cover what cover stain would not,(only once). I would love to discuss this further. You can contact me at tacomajohn3@gmail.com . We both have great knowledge about paint and how to paint in the NW. After all we are only 120 miles apart.