+ Reply to Thread

Hybrid View

Default Another brick in the wall?

I am in the midst of a kitchen renovation. I needed to install some new switches on an interior partial wall that is made of brick covered with plaster, so my electrician used a sawzall with a chisel head to cut a groove for the switch box. A little overzealous, he went right through the wall, which is about 4 inches thick. I now have a very uneven hole, roughly 6 inches in diameter, in the wall with a switch box screwed in to one side. I'd love any ideas on how to patch this.

Default Re: Another brick in the wall?

any chance of you uploading a picture of it? my best guess would be to have a mason remove however many bricks as necessary and install some new (matching) ones, cut to fit up to the outlet box. not a big deal, probably about an hours labor.

I should replace the bricks even though the wall is covered in plaster?

Does the new electrical include metal conduit in the chase that was cut in the brick wall?

We demolished part of this wall, only part of which was brick. The brick portion ends with a couple of 2x4s that used to be one side of a doorway (until we knocked out the rest of the wall), so the electrician was able to feed romex wire down from the ceiling between the brick and the wood to the switch box.

If it were metal conduit I would have filled the missing brick in with type "N " mortar than replastered.
    Being it is romex I would not recommend this type of repair.