+ Reply to Thread

Default I know the style, but...

I'm new here and didn't know where to post my question...

I am trying to figure out more about my house (1930 Cape Cod style). Two years ago, after a wind storm, I had to replace the aluminum siding. The siding guys were really surprised when they pulled off the siding and discovered metal or steel instead of wood sheathing. The frame is however wood.

My dad, who is quite experienced with construction and stuff, had done some work in the kitchen for me (moving and adding outlets, removing the old exhaust fan, etc.) and also noticed the metal in the walls and thought it was odd. It wasnít until the siding was removed that we saw the extent of it all though.

Has anyone heard of this before? The house is in a neighborhood where there are supposedly a lot of mail order kit homes; I looked for the clues, and I donít think that it is a kit house, especially because of the metal sheathing.

The house has a concrete block foundation and wood frame and metal (or steel?) sheathing. Itís one and a half stories with a shed dormer on the back side of the house. The interior walls are plaster. (Iíve tried to attach a photo of the house without the siding, but it says my jpeg isnít a valid image file, and no, it doesnít exceed the max size.)

I went to the county records office as well as a few other county and city offices to try to find the original building permit or other information, but Iíve gotten nowhere. They all look at me like Iím crazy to be asking for such information on a small house built in 1930... I was hoping someone here might know something about this type of house or construction. Thanks!!

Default Re: I know the style, but...

If it is large porcelain steel panel, the house may be a Lustron Home (1948-1950)http://www.flickr.com/photos/ihynz/4177672956/ however if it was I would guess it had been modified because I don't think Lustron made a Cape Cod.

Jack
    Be sure you live your life, because you are a long time dead.-Scottish Proverb

Thanks... no, it looks nothing like that... It doesn't appear to be meant to be seen on the exterior and was initially covered by wood siding.

It looks like the 1933 and 1939 Worlds Fairs featured homes made of steel, with brick or other siding over it. But those even have their frames made of steel.

I am still having absolutely no luck getting access to any of the original building permits or documents... I am getting the run around between various offices in both the city and county administration. :-(

Odd indeed. Cape Cod house plans are almost always 1 Ĺ story home plans; these are floor plans where the master bedroom is on the main floor, and some or all of the other bedrooms are on the second floor. The term, Cape Cod house plans, is also often used to describe an exterior style, in this case, a house plan style familiar on Cape Cod, MA. Such cape Cod house plans are typically simple structures with a balanced facade and almost always clad in real or simulated wood shingles. Many Cape Cod house plans are also expandable, in that they allow the owner to leave all or part of the second floor unfinished until needed.

You better ask help from professional who knows everything about house style and more. You just have to make sure that you find a reliable person who can give you what you want.