+ Reply to Thread

Default Help! Ceiling Paint cracking/flaking

Okay, so we just took on a rather large project (for us anyway). We bought a foreclosure that needs a lot of work. My husband decided that he wanted to take the popcorn off of the ceilings so he got it all removed by wetting it and scraping it, then waited a day and textured with a light texture and then painted with a sprayer the next day. We returned a day later to find multiple spots where the paint is cracked and flaking off.

Any ideas on why this is happening and what we should be doing differently? Would LOVE any help/suggestions/advice because we're trying to get this project finished as quickly as possible so that we can move in and sell our current house.

Thanks so much!

Default Re: Help! Ceiling Paint cracking/flaking

Did you use a quality primer over the texture?

Did you clean the dust from the ceiling before painting?

We did not prime...guess we should have? I think he cleaned the dust off from after scraping but there wasn't a ton of dust b/c we wet the ceiling down prior to scraping all of the popcorn off.

So, if it's a priming issue. Why is it only cracking in some areas? Any thoughts?

Primer performs the job you are looking for- to help paint grab the surface.

Give the rest of the paint job some time, more will peel off. Not all though as some will have grabbed.

Fix- start peeling off the loose stuff. Wait a week or so and peel again. When you think you have it all use a good quality primer such as Zinsser BIN or Kilz.

Thanks! Someone recommended that my husband get a sealer and so he went that route...something about the older ceiling paint being a type that doesn't bond well w/ newer paint since it's an older house (built in the 70s).

I'm really hoping that this works but if it doesn't I told him we need to prime.