+ Reply to Thread

Default Odors from under the house

My church has a small older house for a parsonage. I would estimate the square footage to be about 800 square feet. The house has an unfinished partial basement under about 75% of the house. About 5 years ago the family that occupied the home allowed their cats to access the crawl space under the portion of the house that wasn't over the basement. Of course the cats used this area as their litter box. This area is not really a crawl space as a person can't fit under there. I rigged up a rake to sc**** out everything I could reach, but the odor just won't go away. It has improved a little but every year when the weather warms up the odors come back. Does anyone have any suggestions on what I can do to eliminate the odors?

Default Re: Odors from under the house

Is there any ventilation if not than arrange which keeps air flow fresh.

You can either cut through the foundation to make holes all around (best as this is a passive method) or pump air through ducting to the far side (requires electricity)

You need air flow.

A google search for pet odors will reveal a overwhelming list of elixirs and concoctions to rid yourself of the odors. I can't speak to any of them. I prefer to remove cat odors by removing the cats.

Traditionally quicklime is used under houses to take care of odors and the like.
    If you can't scatter it manually, I'd recommend using an HVLP pump and a v-shaped tray to hold the lime so the airflow is against it and fog the heck out of it. You have to wear a respirator as lime should not be inhaled.
    We use a similar setup (HVLP + v-tray) for sand painting of buildings, so I know it will work.
    Casey
    Remove not the ancient landmark, which your fathers have set.

Besides the quicklime and/or other products that might help venting the area sounds like a good idea. If there isn't room for passive foundation vents,rigging a radon removal type fan would ventilate the space constantly. You would need to provide make up air. If that comes from the basement you have to think about what happens in the winter

Thanks for all of the suggestions. I think I will look into finding quicklime. I live in a small town (pop. < 1000) so don't know where I'll find the stuff. Also, I don't know how much I'll need.

The quicklime idea sounds good. Now I'll just have to see if I can find any. I live in a small rural community (pop. <1000) in southwest Nebraska. Also, what is the application rate for this situation?

Hydrated lime is an agricultural product used to immediately raise the soil pH. When regular lime is used, the pH takes years to change. Check with your local Ag supplier. I have seen it in 5 or 10 pound bags.

Be VERY careful about breathing it in.

Smile Re: Odors from under the house

The investor group, I work for, buys and resells foreclosure homes. Most of the properties have sat empty for a year, or more, stale air, smoking and pet odors, can get very grim. Selling a house with odor problems takes longer and affects the resale value. Painting the interior does not remove all odors as the odors have settled in the carpeting and walls. A painting contractor mentioned a product called Air-ReNu that you add to paint. If we could eliminate the odor problem, we could save the cost of replacing the carpeting. After 24 hours, the odor was gone; now we use Air-ReNu for all interiors that need repainting.

Quote Originally Posted by Vincent Valle View Post
    The investor group, I work for, buys and resells foreclosure homes. Most of the properties have sat empty for a year, or more, stale air, smoking and pet odors, can get very grim. Selling a house with odor problems takes longer and affects the resale value. Painting the interior does not remove all odors as the odors have settled in the carpeting and walls. A painting contractor mentioned a product called Air-ReNu that you add to paint. If we could eliminate the odor problem, we could save the cost of replacing the carpeting. After 24 hours, the odor was gone; now we use Air-ReNu for all interiors that need repainting.
    This stuff is not cheap, but if it works, I guess it's worth it.