+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Default Re: How long for post moderation

Quote Originally Posted by daspyda View Post
    As someone who hosts a forum using this software, there is a constant vigilence against spammers who register and post topics with pictures and links.

Having noobs unable to post links and pics until they have a certain number of posts is the first line of defense.

Another tool that is quite effective for vBulletin is Spam-o-Matic (I believe it's called that) and can be found at the vBulletin mods forums. It's free and checks new registrations against an active known database of spammers. Those that passed the test should be able to post pics and links, but you'll still have the occasional spammer get past.

As far as posting/uploading pics, I do not allow uploading because I want to keep costs down by limited bandwidth. Storage is cheap, but bandwidth (the "size" of the data/pics transferring to the site's servers) is not. You can post your pics on Photobucket, Picasa or any other service, and then reference the URL for the pic (once that is allowed for noobs).
    I think the point were trying to make is we have live moderators on this site that can and do a very good job of handling spammers. We feel that they do a much better job then any software.

John

The point were trying to make is we have live moderators on this forum. That can and do a very good job, it's the software were having a problem with.

John

along with jack im the other active moderator and everyones right.. the filters are brutal,, i cant even post pictures

i have a large folder of images of work ive done, when someone wants to know what something should look like id like to post to give them a better idea but i can put them up....
    fire up the saw and make some dust

I'm in shock. My two previous on this thread went to post moderation. This is the first time that I have seen any post that went to moderation reappear.

John

I have just made a discovery. When the spam filter moderates a post, as a live moderator I see the post and the fact that it is moderated. I can the approve the post. I think that is what happened to johnh2o's posts.

Jack
    Be sure you live your life, because you are a long time dead.-Scottish Proverb

Quote Originally Posted by JLMCDANIEL View Post
    I have just made a discovery. When the spam filter moderates a post, as a live moderator I see the post and the fact that it is moderated. I can the approve the post. I think that is what happened to johnh2o's posts.

Jack
    Yes Jack, that's what it says: wait for the moderator's approval.

John gets these notices, I get these notices, spruce gets them too...the question is why?

I can understand that a spam or a new pster gets them, but we are passed this stage atready. There must be a self controlling filter to remove them automatically.

I've also found out that if I get this notice, then retype my posting again, I usually don't get it the second time.

As an admin for a vbulletin board, I can tell you there is one setting for the type of member you are which regulates moderation.

The non-noobs should have that setting changed to "no" by the Administrator in the Control Panel. Same thing with pics...

Lightbulb Re: How long for post moderation

One thing you might want to try, go to your CP and on the left side at the bottom click on "attachments" I you have uploaded pictures in the past you may have reached your limit (I don't know what limit the forum has). Try deleting some of the old uploads and then see if you can upload pictures.

Jack
    Be sure you live your life, because you are a long time dead.-Scottish Proverb