+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default How long for post moderation

I posted at least two weeks ago with a couple of pictures in the hopes of clarifying some advice another forum member gave me. The system said it would not appear as a post until moderated.

It still hasn't shown up, is there any way to check the status? It would be nice to know whether I still need to wait, or it fell in to a black hole, or was denied for some reason.

It was a reply to my thread of "kitchen sink, no trap no vent, HELP!" and in response to johnjh20.

Hopefully someone can point me in the right direction. If there is no way to check this stuff, it would be a nice feature add to the user control panel.

Default Re: How long for post moderation

I'm not sure why your post was moderated, the auto filtering is problematic on this forum and was not changed when they added live moderators such as myself. I have removed the spam tag on your post so that should help. If you have anymore problems pleas PM me. We don't always catch the auto tags.

Jack
    Be sure you live your life, because you are a long time dead.-Scottish Proverb

Jack this has been a constant problem with many of my posts. As I often attach links to help show what is needed to make some repairs. Once the system says it would not appear as a post until moderated the post goes to places unknown never to be seen again.

John

I know it is frustrating for us all. When the site was being bombarded with spam the administrators tried and tried to set up auto spam blocking. That caused more problems than it solved. They finally relented and added live moderators but have not straightened out the auto filter that looks for key words and in some cases links.

Jack
    Be sure you live your life, because you are a long time dead.-Scottish Proverb

The problem actually seems to be worse now too. I tried to post a hosted pic last week and got flagged for moderation. Just 30 seconds ago it happened again because of the word filter. On top of all that, it seems we can no longer upload images.

Maybe it's time to lodge a complaint or two with the admin, or a few of the editors.
    I suffer from CDO ... Its like OCD, but in alphabetical order, LIKE IT SHOULD BE!!!

Quote Originally Posted by A. Spruce View Post
    The problem actually seems to be worse now too. I tried to post a hosted pic last week and got flagged for moderation. Just 30 seconds ago it happened again because of the word filter. On top of all that, it seems we can no longer upload images.

Maybe it's time to lodge a complaint or two with the admin, or a few of the editors.
    I'm all for that. How do we go about doing it?

John

Add me to the list of those who were hit by the "moderator's notice".

Heck, I tried to load up a photo for Spruce the other day and ran into troubles...Spruce: it was the shed diagram.

I can't load no steenken pictures either.

Quote Originally Posted by dj1 View Post
    Add me to the list of those who were hit by the "moderator's notice".
    There is a forum here for site related questions and problems. I think we should start a petition thread there to request that there be a little less automated filtering and more live moderated content. I have to step out of the office right now, so I'll go start up a thread later tonight if someone else doesn't beat me to it.

Quote Originally Posted by dj1 View Post
    Heck, I tried to load up a photo for Spruce the other day and ran into troubles...Spruce: it was the shed diagram.
    Me too. Image was well within the size constraints, yet no joy.
    I suffer from CDO ... Its like OCD, but in alphabetical order, LIKE IT SHOULD BE!!!

As someone who hosts a forum using this software, there is a constant vigilence against spammers who register and post topics with pictures and links.

Having noobs unable to post links and pics until they have a certain number of posts is the first line of defense.

Another tool that is quite effective for vBulletin is Spam-o-Matic (I believe it's called that) and can be found at the vBulletin mods forums. It's free and checks new registrations against an active known database of spammers. Those that passed the test should be able to post pics and links, but you'll still have the occasional spammer get past.

As far as posting/uploading pics, I do not allow uploading because I want to keep costs down by limited bandwidth. Storage is cheap, but bandwidth (the "size" of the data/pics transferring to the site's servers) is not. You can post your pics on Photobucket, Picasa or any other service, and then reference the URL for the pic (once that is allowed for noobs).
    Last edited by daspyda; 06-08-2012 at 04:09 PM.